Learning how to 3D scan

New tool limit clock resets when the ball falls in Times Square. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I presume, that like the printing thread, we will all be contributing to this thread as we get the related toys and cliff note summary of projects?

I am interested in #not sponsored use of the Einstar.

Between that, a second X1 w/ AMS and a 14x40 lathe, my budget for the year is done.

2 Likes

Nice, New or used?
Any certain brand?

1 Like

Prefer new. “Want” will run me north of $18k. “Budget” might make $11k. Precision Matthews is primary. Might get used, but not a whole lot of used ewuip. dealers in Colorado (2) and next closest is 500mi away, and I will not buy sight unseen. Used also gets you Used problems and wear.

3 Likes

Craig might sell you his used stuff now that he’s getting all these new toys! And he lives in your neighborhood! Relatively speaking that is…

2 Likes

Einstar in the shop.

Rob grabbed the closest item to scan. Used textures and features.

He said the Einstar works sooo much better than his previous 3 3D scanners.

First scan shown in Exstar (Shining 3D’s software)

Exported OBJ opened in Blender, 800K facets

Used Blender to 10% decimate download to 88K facets

Fusion opened the original OBJ

and the original just fine.

We scanned our first object in 15 minutes. Einstar software was easy to use, tracked great and quickly produced a good data set. We’re going to love having this new tool in the shop.

5 Likes

Any input on using Aesub blue or using foot spray for shiny parts?

Besides the major price difference.

1 Like

I am waiting on Tom’s response… :rofl:

1 Like

I generally try to keep foot spray away from my shiny parts. :grimacing:

I use Attblime’s AB6G, spraying it on with an Air Brush (0.5mm, I believe). It leaves a uniform finish and completely disappears within a couple of hours without any further work. A 1 Liter bottle lasts forever…

5 Likes

Arrrgh. Had to post a play by play. Another grand gone.

2 Likes

Can’t take it with you…:grinning:

Thank you for that @DonP . I want one for work when I am doing custom modifications and custom part fabrication. Scanning large objects, of which there is one waiting for me to get going on (64’ square area, Horizontal concrete mixer drive). Gonna be a lot of scan and merge files.

I just not want to spend big money on something that either won’t work as well as the hype, or not on a laptop (mine is not bad processor wise).

Still up in the air on the Einstein, I know the software is a bit of a process hog, so it is a maybe. Wish I knew someone local that had one that I could try on my laptop to verify. If my laptop can’t handle it, then I need to stop drooling now.

1 Like

IMG_3729

1 Like

My lathe retrofit came with an under-powered spindle motor. He used a Clearpath motor in the retrofit which is not going to work with steel. I started scanning the lathe with my new Einstar.

Scan looks awesome. There’s definitely a scanning learning curve. Fortunately, I have what I need to mount a larger 3PH motor on the lathe.

3 Likes

You are being hell on my wallet.

Please post F360 compatibility and use on this project.

3 Likes

I know what you mean Sticks. Between Tin and BigDaddy and Craig…I think Craig is the worst of them all! :man_facepalming: :rofl:

2 Likes

Think of me as the honest equipment reviewer using products for real-world applications.

5 Likes

Well, I am going to have to wait another week or four. My $490 F360 subscription renewall just hit.

@holla2040 - Looking forward to any screenshots, updates, and experience.

1 Like

Here are my first two attempts. A cylinder mount duplicate and equipment self loading jack mount.

2 Likes

Cool practice with scanner.