Langmuir THC control

Is the Langmuir THC unit going to be controlled by Mach3 or is it going to be a stand alone unit?

Just wondering what else I can clean off of my Mach3 main screen that I won’t need.

Thanks

I believe we’ll still need Mach3 as we’ll need something to manage things like initial pierce height vs cutting height settings.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll hold off on deleting any of that off of my screen for now.

I currently handle that through the post processor…

My understanding is that you will need that stuff on your screen as Mach will be controlling the THC, which is awesome! Most of those settings now have to be controlled via the THC internal controls…

1 Like

it is not going to use Mach3. It is using Langmuir’s new software called FireControl.

I’m a bit confused on the THC.
1.Would fire control be a sep program that needs opened while operating?
2. can I use my Hypertherm torch I have now, assuming I’d need to swap out to the OHMIC sensing retainer
3. Does anyone have any experience with THC previously? I really would like to know how much time it adds. For example, I cut 12x24 sheets currently with about 100 pierces and 3-400 inches. Run time is about 10 min. If that time doubled with THC I’d really just not consider it. I been on the fence for a while going back and forth with the pro table or just waiting to see it in action and feedback on here. But there are some variables I’m sure we are all unsure of.

Based on their videos and what they’ve posted elsewhere, Firecontrol will work like Mach3 does with the standard table - so it’s a separate program but not an additional one. Instead of Mach3 we’ll use Firecontrol.

Not sure about if the ohmic control rung in the Hypertherm torch will be needed. I suspect not as it looks like they have wiring on the THC that may provide the signal - and they’re supporting a lot of torches without ohmic control rings.

The videos show it taking about a second or two for the torch to dip down, touch the material and then raise to firing height for each cut. Unless your cuts are in the 1-2 second range you’re not going to see a doubling of time. But if you’ve got 30 cuts you probably see another 30 seconds to a minute. Overall though, with less chance of failures due to incomplete pierces, bad cuts due to warpage affecting the torch to material distance, etc you should have better time to finish the project than the standard table.

thanks for feedback. are the videos on here? I haven’t looked. Yeah I figured it wouldn’t double the time and in the end I’ll get use to it and really appreciate it.

Does it look like there is going to be a way for the THC to use non contact surface detection? Can we change what’s there when we get it?

The other big plus for THC is consumable life. the THC keeps the torch at the optimal height while cutting based on arch voltage. This helps get a little extra life out of the tips as well as pulling them back after the arc start to keep it cooler which will make items last longer. In theory this should also make the cuts cleaner/neater. But my cuts on the stock crossfire have been so nice I don’t think I will notice the difference.

Bruce

Heres a video of the pro running. you can see in some spots where the initial height sensing pushes the sheet down. does it set the height on the first contact or when it breaks contact? Is that even how it’s sensing the height?

1 Like

When the torch rests on the plate a switch opens letting the controller know where the surface of the sheet is. The torch and the slide weigh about 2 pounds so you can expect a small amount of deflection. Keep in mind that the material in the video is 20 gauge, very thin! 14 gauge doesn’t deflect very much at all.

The main problem with ohmic sensing is that you must have clean metal for it to operate (no rust, no paint). Even a little bit of dirt or grime in the area that contact is made could prevent continuity from being sensed and cause potentially signifigant damage to the torch unless other safety features are in place.

We evaluated the option of using proximity sensors, but there are specific edge cases where the sensors will not work and can cause damage. Additionally, the sensors have to be close fo the plate which causes risk of collision with tip-ups during cutting.

Perhaps the biggest advantage to our IHS system is that it is monitored by the THC. If the torch contacts the plate, the torch will be rapidly driven up to proper cut height to prevent damage to the torch.

Daniel, just curious… Does this opening of the switch happen the instant the torch contacts the plate at which time it records the height at that point to offset for pierce height? Only then, moving to ohmic sensing for the rest of the cut to maintain proper cut height?

I’m guessing the “push down” of the plate occurs while calcs are being made?

Just trying to understand this a little more… Thanks!

Once the switch opens the motor is commanded to stop. Then the motor is reversed, and the position is recorded once the switch closes again.

The deflection simply happens because the torch and slide weighs about 2 pounds total.

1 Like

So, if I understand correctly. It IS getting the proper height at the point the switch closes back up and bases the pierce and initial cut height at that time…

What I’m getting at is the “pushdown” isn’t really a factor…??

Actually pierce height (where the arc will start) is higher than cut height. For instance, my Hypertherm specifies 0.15" pierce height and 0.06" cutting height. That means it lowers the head after the arc is established and the pierce made.

You are right you’ll get better consumable life but that’s because the torch is out of the splashback zone when starting higher than what is needed to cut. As it’s establishing the arc & making the pierce, the heated air & electric current is reflected upwards toward the torch until the plasma arc is established and the pierce made and the plasma arc can go through the material. Getting the torch higher keeps it out of danger from getting burned by an arc that’s not making it all the way through the material yet. Then when it’s pierced and the energy is safely directed through the material and into the water table, it lowers to optimum cutting height.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation Daniel. Is the switch your talking about a micro limit switch?