Keep water from splashing after i stop cutting

I’m making a mess every time i finish cutting. The air on my thermal dynamics cut master 58 keeps going for about 5 seconds after it stops cutting. During this time it splashes water all over. Shop floor gets real wet.

Does anyone any way to over come this?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

The easiest way is to lift the torch after every cut. I usually lift it an inch before moving to the next cut.

1 Like

I may just get a piece of something to slide under it so the air isn’t going into the water

1 Like

Sometimes the simplest answer is the best one!!

1 Like

Set your parking position so torch moves over a solid portion of the material when done. What program are you using? Sheetcam or Fusion?

4 Likes

I’m using fusion and I’m just a beginner. I have learnt a lot in the last few weeks but have miles to go. I will have to watch videos to figure out how to set my park position.

I just jog via keyboard a small amount until the tip is over solid metal. No more splashing.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for your replies.

1 Like

If you know g-code, even if you are only a little bit familiar you can open your .nc or .tap file with Note pad or a similar program , scroll all the way down to the last G00 line just before M30. The G-code line will be G0 Z 1. or what you set usually? Change this to G0 Z 2. press enter and then add X ___ Y___ to where you know that the torch will be setting over solid material. When you change the Z position make sure that there is clearance for the amount of Z lift that you want. SAVE your changes. If you are away from the machine when it finishes it will move to your preset location and then stop. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Thanks I will give it a try

You might consider increasing your post flow on your cutter beyond 5 seconds. I know it is currently making a mess with the water table, but the post flow is extremely important to consumable life. Best of luck.

4 Likes

I agree with @We5ley360 about post flow…I run mine for almost 30 seconds after each cut…

1 Like

How do you set post flow?

1 Like

That is what I do, I use a piece of lexan. If I’m at the edge of the table I’ll put it there to stop splashing then when it is done I’ll fire it under the torch head when it is cooling.

1 Like

I have a couple a pieces of 20 gauge 3" wide strips, I’ll put along side a piece if I’m cutting close to the edge of the material also.

2 Likes

You can’t with some plasma cutters, it’s set internally and not meant to be adjustable. Others have a knob on the front to adjust it. There it’s intuitively obvious.

1 Like