Keep nozzle down not working

Hello! Just finished setting up my crossfire, went through all the software tutorials but cannot get Fusion360 to keep the nozzle down as shown in the tutorials. I have set the torch diameter when setting up the tool, checked the keep nozzle down box when setting up the toolpath, and set the max stay-down dist. to 24", but I’m still getting retractions and straight rapids right over geometry that has already been cut. I haven’t actually tried posting or running the cut, but the toolpath and simulation in the tutorial videos clearly showed the tool staying down and avoiding previously cut geometry so I’m pretty sure something’s wrong. Any ideas?

The tutorials all do not have torch head control or Z-axis controls which is why they’re not retracting.

Are you using a homebrew THC?

Had this problem with Fusion toolpath on a model with only text ; toolpath runned above cutted parts. When using the same parameters on a model with different bodies to cut = toolpath never over a cutted body.

No I’m using everything exactly as in the tutorials. Crossfire, Razor Cut 45A, Fusion360, Fusion360 CAM. Followed all the steps exactly.

In some cases its may be impossible for it to bypass…it may be choosing the path of least resistance.I set all those same parameters then just run it and keep a eye out for tip ups.You will never be able to walk away while cutting.

Thanks for the help. I just tried it again with the Architectural Plate DXF that they use in the tutorial and it does work. Exact same setup and settings on my DXF and it doesn’t work. I don’t think it’s that it can’t find a way around, it’s a simple part with less holes and things to avoid than the Architectural Plate. Any idea why it wouldn’t like my DXF?

The architectural plate was probably designed in fusion 360…was your dxf?

No my DXF was designed in Solidworks but once imported into a F360 sketch I don’t see what could be different from any other sketch. Maybe the lines are not being recognized as a closed shape and that’s somehow affecting it?

they both behave exactly the same (both outlines are highlighted black when I mouse-over the shape) so I think they’re both being recognized as closed shapes. I don’t see any other differences between the two sketches.

May be worth trying to draw it in fusion just to see…or import your dxf and have fusion save it as a dxf and import that back in to see how it behaves.