Jagged edges on certain edges

Howdy folks!

Was cutting a few signs today and was working on a big sign for a friend as a gift. It’s hard to see in the picture but the second G in Georgia and the O in Bulldogs look like hammered crap. Even the outside ring was really kind of crap but not everywhere. I spent about 2 hours going through and creating super clean arcs in Fusion 360 and in some directions it was damned near flawless but in other times it was kind of ‘stuttering’. The art was good but for some reason just some of the arcs look like crap. Thinking it could be a machine issue I did a few test cuts and circles that came out great. Even ran another few signs of another design and it looked great but for some reason this one just keeps confounding me. It was almost like the computer was bogging down? Air was good, machine is good and tight, art had nice clean vectors.

Thoughts?

and if you’re wondering I did run like 3 of these and they wouldn’t mess up in the same place each time. I took the best one and cleaned it up a bit before powder coating it. Since this is a gift I can get away with it not being ‘as’ good as or normal stuff but I’m just more confused as to why it’s acting like this.

Jog machine around and see if you are getting chattering noise in certain areas, watch for the x axis chattering. Probably have powder coat coming off in certain areas of Y rails or X axis tube where bearings ride.

If you’re hearing the torch fluttering, check to make sure there are no plugged air holes in the cap.

I had a similar issue with the Torch cutting a sawtooth edge and it was caused by a plugged air hole in the cap.

Agreed. May issue I encountered was the bearings rubbing up the paint on the X axis tube. I just took some sand paper and got its down to a smooth finish since it was coming up flakey and binding the bearings from time to time. Would cause some skips and or stutter that translated into the design. Once I did that it really solved the issue. Only had the issue with the paint on the X axis as others have mentioned, no issue with either of the Y axis’

I had a similar issue and it turned out the z axis rollers had loosened up and was allowing the torch cable to move the torch around.