Is anyone running Fusion360 on Windows 7 these days?

As Dad jokes go, that has to be one of the best I’ve heard! Especially considering that there is a whole lot of truth in that one!

I’m sure my daughters will appreciate it! :rofl:

1 Like

Ok folks, with my hat in hand, I am going to say I REALLY LIKE FUSION 360!

So, inspired by the Manual Man, AKA @TinWhisperer , I decided that I should, at least, TRY Fusion as every other CAD program I’ve used either has a fatal flaw or support has/or will have disappeared.

Does Fusion 360 have flaws? Yes, I know some already.

Are any of them fatal? Haven’t found one yet.

Is it easy to use? (Get this) YES! Amazingly easy once you know the general relationship between things and operations.

Is it the solution to all problems known to man? Dunno, I doubt it. I have not tried CAM and don’t see a need to in the foreseeable future.

I did need to install Windows 10. I took baby steps doing this though. I bought a new HD ($40), bought a cheap Windows 10 Home license key ($35), and installed that fresh. I then installed Fusion 360 with a Hobbyist license, no cost (yet, there’s not supposed to be but I’ve heard it all before…). And then, as progress was made, slowly migrated my other SW & data files to the new setup. It’s pretty much complete at this point.

Here is a simple design I originally did on SketchUp and re-did from scratch using Fusion 360. It’s a poor man’s power feed for my LMS Mini Mill. Took about 3 hours total to complete in Fusion 360 (while learning a bunch of stuff).

Thanks again to TW for his calm persuasion and hand holding…

PS: with Win10 I was able to install the latest driver for my Space Navigator and IT WORKS! I haven’t had a crash yet, knock on my fake wood desk, and it’s very useful for ‘dancing’ around my workspace, not only in Fusion, but SketchUp as well. I had given up on the navigator with my Win7 system.

1 Like

Now it’s @toolboy 's turn to switch teams.

1 Like

Nah, Fusion 360 is for grownups.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

@tomws truth :facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

Until 8.3.2024 I had an old version running on my Windows 7, since then Autodesk signed me out and I got the message that there is sign in failure, which could be solved on the new Fusion 360 via service utility, but the old version doesn’t have service utility, they did that on purpose to get me out of the old version, however, the new version will not work on Windows 7 anymore so I have to leave the Autodesk and try to find alternative. Too much software on my old PC to upgrade to newer Windows. They didn’t need to do that but as all these big companies they are just too greedy and want all the money they can get. People do not understand that the big companies will keep doing that, soon, there will be the end of the life for Windows 11 and they will force you to upgrade to newer Windows and in the process you will lose some old software which will not run on newer windows and the process will continue to squeeze all the money from us. The sad thing is we have no choice. No wonder the Piracy exist, it’s a modern Robin Hood philosophy, steal from the rich and give to the poor.

@Allisinus Welcome to the forum.

I started using Fusion on used Windows 7 lappy as well. At the time I was very comfortable with Sketch8 and Windows XP and did not look forward to the change. I did not enjoy the learning curve but now I am comfortable again and more capable. Then the new desktop came later and with it window 10. never ends

Cloud software has its drawbacks.

What CAD software do you think you will move to?

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Windows-7-is-no-longer-supported-by-Autodesk-for-Fusion-360.html

"

Issue:

Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft. Autodesk recommends Windows 10.

Causes:

Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft and so it is no longer supported by Autodesk for Fusion."

They do suggest in the article that Fusion can be used in a web browser by subscribers as work around solution.

Use the online version of Fusion

Visit Is there a way to access Fusion 360 using a web browser for more details.

A Fusion subscription is a heavy annual bill but I haven’t directly purchased Windows in years. Normally its rolled in to the pricing of a new system.

Windows 12 does not have a very good ring to it.

Fusion does offer a Free to use personal license

Compare Autodesk Fusion vs Autodesk Fusion for Personal Use | Autodesk

I do still have my old window XP toughbook from time to time a use it. It still connects to the internet. How I miss Windows XP.

3 Likes