Intro and disclaimer from newbie

Just spent the dough for the “Pro” and have LOTS to learn. Soooo…up front disclaimer:
I’m guessing I will ask lots of newbie questions. I will attempt to TRY to resolve them prior to asking but please bear with me if…(no when) I do! BTW, not expecting replies, just a hello and lurking and trying to get more knowledgeable by listening and reading before I ask!

4 Likes

Welcome. There is a lot of knowledge here.

What do you plan to make with your pro?

Welcome! We have all been in your shoes…not literally…that would be too familiar and weird.

If you are like me, you come to this arena not even knowing enough to explain your situation. That is when photos really help. Since there are so many objective variables (type of plasma cutter, cut height, thickness of metal, cut speed, air pressure/volume, actual dxf file, and many more), any thing you can share will give the talented people on this forum a better chance of helping.

Don’t take offense at each of our approaches. It is just our way (geesh…I am quoting “The Mandolorian” again!!)

1 Like

That is a very good point we all come from different places and backgrounds. That also will help one person be able to connect to one but not another.

2 Likes

I thank you for responding! I did enjoy the “what are you planning to make “ question! My answer is…. (Wait for it): ANYTHING I WANT!!! And that is just one of the reasons I am here. So many options and more I’ve not even thought of yet. My only limitation is brain power , age and the cost of materials. For the moment until delivery I’m watching vids and reading as much as I can. My biggest worry is the CAD cuz I possess an old tired brain😱
BUT, I’m gonna do it!!!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

CAD is easy if you remember that, this is essentially a 2D tool. It cannot do 3D. Therefore go to 3D if you are designing a very sophisticated sheet metal model, but, for the most part, a 2D drawing program is all you need to make parts.

4 Likes

As far as CAD, I think one important thing is to stick with one program long enough to know how to make something simple. Try another program and see how easy it is to do the same thing. This will give you a sense if it is intuitive to you. I used a program called TurboCAD for years. It is terrible when compared to the likes of FreeCAD, Fusion, or SolidEdg once you start designing with them.

Agree with Tom. Don’t try to learn the 3D stuff yet if ever.

There are a few topics/threads on here where people voice the pros and cons of one program over the other. All have valid points. I think what makes it hard for some is they keep jumping back and forth from one program to another and don’t really commit. Once you commit that is when you start to allow the learning to happen. I have tried all of the three that I mentioned but I don’t want to steer you one way or the other. There are at least a half dozen other very good choices that I didn’t even list.

You said you are watching videos. That is great because you can see someone, who knows the program, showing you how program works.

Enjoy the process!

1 Like

@caddy
hey Tim…welcome to the forum…once you get going you will be addicted to burning metal soon…

I was a first time CNC user 3 years ago when I bought my Pro table…I knew plasma cutting…but ZIPPO about CNC.

so with the help of this group I learned a great many things…and I still learn something new all the time…

the reason we ask what are you going to be most likely cutting is it can help narrow down the software options…

So you have the CAD design part and the CAM post processing part.

CAM is really offered by 2 sources…
Sheetcam…a one time purchase that does an amazing job and is easy to use…

then there is Fusion360…now it does the CAM part and as well does the CAD part.

if you are doing 90% signs and artsy stuff you can work with any design software and then use Sheetcam to process your work.

Fusion is a very powerful and very hard to run on most people’s computer systems.
some people learn it real fast…other like me…well…I can not grasp it.
Even though I have a great AutoCAD background I find Fusion very hard to get.
BUT…if you get the grasp of it is is a fantastic tool…and there is lots of help here…

I myself use Inkscape to draw and Sheetcam to process…

spend some time reading…learn to use the little magnifying glass on the top right of the screen…but do not be afraid to ask questions…

We will help you the best we can…we might laugh…but we will help…

also…when asking a question be prepared to provide videos, pictures and background on the problem at hand.

last but not least…AIR!!!
AIR…you need to make sure you have a decent sized compressor to handle your demand of your plasma cutter…and then make sure your air is DRY!
there are lots of threads on dry air…

2 Likes

Hello Toolboy!
Thank you for responding. Yes, looking forward to the arrival of the machine and am currently trying to find a good place for it to live. My shop is big but somewhat open to the weather so I’m feeling I need to make a reasonable attempt to protect it from dust etc. I’m in Arizona and must consider the extreme temperatures as well. PLENTY to do before it arrives. In the meantime, lots of reading and watching videos in an attempt to get up to speed!
Lots of questions!!

2 Likes