Initial Torch Fire Working Intermittently

I have a Crossfire Pro with the Razorweld 45 CNC and I have just begun working with the machine. The torch is not always initially firing when the programs start running. I am using FireControl to run the unit. When the torch does operate and initially fire, it will run through the rest of the cut. I am just not getting the torch to work consistently. If I operate the torch by hand, it starts as it should. When the torch does not fire, it will not start with the manual torch fire button in the FireControl program either. I am receiving the error message that the torch is moving before the torch fires. I have set the pierce delay at .5 seconds and I have tried increasing it when the issue occurs. It still does nothing. If I walk away from it and come back to it another day, it seems to work a couple of times and then stops again. Has anyone else dealt with this issue, or have any suggestions as to what might be going on?

Intermittent issues are a pain in the ass. I would start by looking for:

1. Bad connection somewhere in the torch fire circuit?
  2. Bad relay on Crossfire board?
  3. Insufficient air pressure?
  4. Wet air?
1 Like

When did you receive your Razorweld? How old is it?

As of right now, I know that I have air pressure and I am using a dessicant dryer for the air that is coming out. I also believe that the relay is working because I am hearing a slight click when the razorweld should be firing. I do not believe that the razorweld is responding though.

I just received the razorweld in March along with my crossfire pro.

When you hear the relay click inside of the Electronics Enclosure, do you hear air escaping from the plasma torch?

Based on your symptoms it seems like it could be a loose wire somewhere. Does your torch fire cable seem to have a good fit in the torch fire port?

Thanks for your help. I got to play with it some more this weekend. A buddy who has a crossfire and a razorweld had suggested that maybe my razorweld was sitting too close to the crossfire unit. I moved the razorweld as far away from the crossfire unit as I could. I cut out 4 different pieces off of two different programs with no trouble on Friday. I didn’t move anything, and I went out there to test the unit again today. Today, the unit had the issue of not firing again.

When the relay clicks inside of the electronics enclosure, there is no air escaping from the plasma torch when it has the non-firing issue.

The torch fire cable seems to be fitting in the torch fire port well. I have also tried wiggling the wires when the issue occurs, and I have not been able to get it to fire by moving them around.

Failed relay contact?

Open the box and remove and install the relay and make sure it is seated. If that don’t work then as “Cletus” said it could be a bad relay.

George please let me know if you can make me a 20" PTM 60 for a Everlast 82i. Try to message you on Ebay but it would go through.
jmessar2166@gmail.com

A 20" PTM 60 would be really, really, really short :rofl:

Yes I can make you a 20’ ( foot ) PTM 60 tor for the Everlast 82i.

Yes sir 20 ft. Yeah it would be short.

I will let you know when its ready. Then we can talk about the consumables you will need.

Im having basically the same issue with my torch not firing one minute and the next its ok . what have you found to resolve this issue?

It seems to stem from the relay. I have this problem pop up every once in a while. Usually I have to shift the relay around and make sure that it is fully set in its spot. I also had a bad air regulator that kept shifting its psi output. When the output psi was too low it would cause it not to fire.

If you are using a Razorweld 45 this is what I recommend.

Get a QD T fitting and remove the air regulator from the inside of the plasma cutter and put it or a better one on the back of the unit. This way you can adjust your pressure as needed.

I found that the plunger or whatever its called ( the part that the tip sets against and the swirl ring sets around ) had arc marks on it and the plunger was stuck on the in position. so I took the torch body apart and disconnected the power lead where it was bolted to the plunger. then removed the e ring and took the plunger out. I lightly sanded the arc marks off and lightly sanded the barrel and got it to move freely again. I put it back together and so far it seems to be working as it should

The arc marks are most of the time caused by using the wrong consumables and/or the electrode is sticking in the swirl ring

I’m having this issue with an old Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma cutter on the PRO. It just started last week. We thought maybe the plasma was the problem since it is old. We swapped it out with another old 2050 plasma and it made a few cuts then started the intermittent firing. The torch fires fine with manual activation. The relay that is mentioned in the “box” is that in the Crossfire PRO box or the inside the plasma box? We have been using the PRO with the 2050 since March of last year with no other problems. We swapped out the torch about 8 months ago from a handheld to a machine torch with no problems.

Welcome to the forum.

I can most likely help you better if you give me a call.

George
302-690-6995