In a Bind ! X is making me crazy!

Looking for some input as to “what is going on”
Problem:
x axis binding at both ends of travel. moving X+ it stops moving about 8" from hard stop and in X- it will move to within 1" of full travel. At ipm’s from 50 to 100ipm it binds every time at 200 and 300 ipm it will go full travel. (more power scotty) Needless to say slower speeds and stopping equal unfinished cuts
I have eased up on the bearing adjustments to the point they seem a bit sloppy in mid travel but bind up at end of travel (both ends) Bearings are too tight at end travel. I have even considered that the bearings being looser are allowing “racking” of the whole assembly. if it is racking I can’t see it visually
When they bind at the ends I have to give a little “push” to free them up (this at x- only) I have even lubed the lead screws to see if that helped but did not seem to make any difference either.
I have even laid a straight edge on the tubes but do not see warping.
Ideas?
Many thanks as this old bird is running out of options!!
Caddy

1 Like

Run your carriage all the way to the left. Take a allen wrench and just loosen the lead screw support bracket bolts. If it’s out of square it will snap into place. Then retighten. If it is binding up about 6~8 inches from either end that might be your culprit.

1 Like

The X axis is dependent on the X lead nut bracket being square to the rail. If the bracket is not square, it will bind at the ends of the travel, where the lead screw can’t flex enough to compensate.

3 Likes

You may have a X axis and Y axis bearing bracket swapped, check to see if you have right brackets are correct.

4 Likes

Sorry to be so long in responding! I will review all the suggestions on the machine but am 99% sure all the mounting brackets are square. Have not had the time to check and measure but visually see a VERY small difference in the stand off distance on the end of carriage travel (X+) end which is where the carriage hangs up. My plan for today will be to remove lead screw and re-adjust all X bearings to assure full travel in X- and X+. Unless I am incorrect that should eliminate one possibility of error. Then install lead screw and check brackets for square and standoff distance from rail (tube) if this does not correct it then is there a possibility the motor is not producing correct torque? I am inclined to think the motor is NOT the issue.
Another possibility? I am a bit unclear as to what are the community thoughts are regarding the use of lubricants are on the screws. I will have to go back and re read the assembly instructions but I do not recall (yes, I’m old and can barely remember my name) any discussion regarding the use of lubricants on the screws. Given my location and that the screws are not covered and protected from the elements (lots of dust in Arizona) I chose not to use lubricants on the screws. What say all of you pros about lube?
Thanks for reading and advice!

The recommended lube is 3 in 1 oil, but any light oil will work.

1 Like

As noted above, take a close look at the bracket for the lead screw bearing bracket. In my case, it was bent slightly off from 90 degrees (only a degree or two). The way I identified the problem: Loosen the lead screw coupling so it is free turning from the stepper motor. This will allow you to rotate the lead screw with your finger tips for it’s entire length. If there is any resistance, loosen the two screws holding the bracket to the carriage and check again for binding. I found that the bracket, when tightened in place, would cause the bearing to be out of square and bind the bearing on the lead screw. Bending the bracket fixed the binding. -Steve

2 Likes

Have you tried running the carriage all the way and loosening the allen bolt to the support bracket. It will snap back into square if its off. Also check your power supply output voltage. It must be 36v.
The adjustment pot is very touchy. I had a similar problem several years ago and it was 24v when I checked it. Re adjusted it to 36 v and never had a problem again.

1 Like

I had this happen quit a bit when I first started. I fount the problem to a simple one. I failed to tighten the screws on the cables where went into the computer. Solved it and has never happen again. I don’t know how old this thread is but your probably fine by now.

2 Likes