Im curious if there are any other small machine shops that see the MR1 as an investment and not just a hobby mill?

Ah, what size tools did you rough material with on your shapeoko? The MR1 looks pretty darn beefy as they use 1/2" tools on 6061 and 3/8" on there youtube promo videos

1 Like

Who doesnt want to go fishing every day?

1 Like

Does the MR-1 fit through a standard garage door (82") with the enclosure after being put together?

Here are the measurements for the fully assembled unit:

Height: 72"
Width: 45" w/o control box (with 47Ā½")
Depth: 46ā…›" w/o control box (with 49Ā½" - includes protruding connector on back with nothing plugged in) (add 2" for front handles if installed)

4 Likes

How do you plan on moving the MR1? I beleive the MR1 needed to be lifted with a crane of cherry picker like device so you would need clesrance for that too

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping Bigdaddy2166 will be kind enough to post the height with the pallet jack. I do have a friend with a warehouse forklift which should work. Iā€™d hate to buy a machine and then sell my house a few years down the road to find out I canā€™t get it out of the garage. lol

2 Likes

75 1/4 inches high with pallet skid under it.

1 Like

The width you have posted, does that include the extra where the control screen sticks out to the left?

No. That does not include the touch screen or its mounting arm.

Could you possibly get a measurement of how far it sticks outbto left and front past the enclosure? Id appreciate it.

Sorry, I have the arm and touch screen, but they are not installed. I have to move my machine to its final home position before I attach it, but I might not due to clearance issues.

Maybe one of the other guys that has it installed can help out. @Bigdaddy2166 might have it.

No my monitor is mounted to a small tool box.

I have wanted a cnc mill for my shop for some time as I would have to get my friends to machine parts for me. I was excited when I saw the Langmuir announcement and video for the mr-1 but after pricing it out with all the options it is too expensive for its capabilities. I have to prioritize my equipment purchases based on the revenue potential along with time and cost savings. I really liked the size of the tormach 1100mx and 30k was simply out of my price range. I ended up buying a super clean low hour 1997 model Haas VF-2 with the 4th axis and a cart full of tooling for $6500 and $800 to have it moved to my shop. it is bigger than I wanted as every square foot of my shop space must be maximized. It currently gets used maybe once a week but I have the potential for growth. I probably would of spent the same amount of money or more buying a mr-1 and outfitting it with tooling.

Used VMCs are a good way to go if you find a deal and have some machining knowledge so you dont crash the machine and intandly destroy 10k worth of your VMCs parts.

I too am strapped for floorspace in my shop and that is a big reason why I bought a MR1 mill and not another vf2 besides the MR1 being way too good of a deal around here (used market almost doest exist in my state). I have 3 haas spindles that are taking up all my good not cracked concrete and Im hopping to squeze my new MR1 somewhere inbetween them

1 Like

In Southern California there is a abundance of good cheap used cnc machining centers. If I had a unlimited budget I would of bought a Haas Super Mini Mill 2 or possibly a Haas Tm1. Next week I am going to look at a Emco Concept mill 260 with a 20 tool magazine and the 5th axis They are marketed to schools and training centers as is the one l am going to see is at a trade school. I havenā€™t had enough time to research these units yet so I donā€™t know exactly what I am getting myself into. I was told the machine was only used by the instructors a few times when they first purchased it a couple of years ago and it has been sitting since. If I can make the machine work for what I need I will sell the vf-2 and with the reclaimed square footage I can bring in the 19x80 Leblond Regal lathe I have in stoage.

3 Likes

I have a hobby business making low volume custom brake, suspension, engine and transmission swap parts for the Pontiac Fiero. My 13x24 garage bay is packed with equipment a and tools and my large manual mill is in the 2nd bay. I have been really pleased with my CrossFire XL Plasma, and really like the capabilities and overall foot print for the MR1. For me it was about the footprint and being able to machine the parts I dream up w/o spending hours locked in front of the mill. I made my final payment earlier this week and anxiously waiting for its arrival!

2 Likes

thats exciting! im still a month out from mine and I cant wait

1 Like

My sons an I started a small welding and fabrication shop 2 years ago. We started out with a Miller 225 multi welder, then moved up to the crossfire pro. Got our second welder, a miller 255, and wound up getting a primeweld 225 tig to add to the shop. We sold the Crossfire pro(loved it but needed something larger to handle what we were producing) and moved up to a JDSquared 5x10 MAD table. End of 2021 we got a Precision Matthews 1024 manual mill and at the beginning of this year we received our PM1440TL lathe. Things are going fairly good. Could always be better. Steel has just gotten outrageous but is finally coming down a little. We bought the MR1 as an entry level first time CNC Mill to learn on and produce prototype parts and hopefully small parts to manufacture there after. So i would say yes, you can use the MR1 professionally and then move up when necessary. We love it. Got everything all finalized last week and got the flood system hooked up this week. We are ready to cut our first partā€¦

4 Likes

Cool story! I love hearing how other small shops started. I started about 6 years ago with just a tormach 770 in my garage (i would have picked the MR1 if it existed back then). Now i have 3 haas spindles and im so excited to get my MR1 for all the large thin flat parts I make (that are kinda annoying to set up on my vf2 mill).

4 Likes

I was outsourcing my aluminum milling and laser cutting over the years. Slowly invested in buying a MR1 (still waiting on it), a crossfire PRO plasma, laser/etcā€¦ My studio does a range of work and honestly got tired on waiting on parts/etcā€¦ hoping to also get my youtube channel up and going once I get the MR1 and a few things in orderā€¦

22+ years of building/making plus a few degreesā€¦ soā€¦ just enjoy it and have fun along the way

237amstudios on all social medias

2 Likes