IHS fail. The torch is not in the expected initial state before starting IHS cycle

Hello all, not sure if this is the appropriate place for this or not, but here goes. I purchased my table a few years ago, I think I was in the second batch of shipment’s when they were introduced. With that being said there were a few modifications to make at first to the control box and with the Razorweld 45 don’t remember exactly what other than some light soldering. After that and a mall learning curve on my part I was up and running. I have programmed and ran CNC mills and lathes among other equipment for years, so I already had a understanding of the CAD and CAM functions. I have literally cut hundreds of parts on this table since then with little to no problems, until last week. I was helping a friend cut some parts about 50 or so in .250 plate. The machine had been sitting for a few weeks but that’s not uncommon here. we had problems all day and I am still fighting with it. So now for the problem, torch moves to the first pierce location Z moves down to touch the plate green light comes on in fire control to establish continuity between the plasma torch and the top of the material. Most of the time the torch will not fire, in the event it does fire things seem to go ok. Also I should mention I have checked all connection cleaned numerous things and tightened everything I could think of. So when it moves to the pierce location and Z moves down green light comes on and it sits there it seems to loose the Z axis position. Sometimes it’s off several inches as much as 12. So what is my problem. Theory of operation after Z moved to contact top of the material it establishes a Z location?? Next as programed Z moves +.100 and starts a pierce timer then fires the torch after which it moves to +.062 with or without THC at that point it begins to proceed through the program moving Z +/- depending on the voltage assuming you are using THC. All seems to work when it works. I’m beginning to think the Z axis motor is going bad or the stepper drive card. Am I wrong, have I missed something obvious or am I on the right track? Sorry for the long post I would prefer to talk to the tech line but it doesn’t seem that Langmuir has one.

Your understanding of how the IHS system works is incorrect. There is no sensing of continuity between the plate and the torch.

There is a switch inside the Z axis that is normally closed. When the Z axis drives the torch down, it touches the metal and keeps going down until the switch opens. Then it reverses until the switch closes again. This is the point where the Z zero is recorded. Then it raises to pierce height, fires the torch, waits for the pierce delay to end and lowers to cut height.

Generally, when you get the IHS is not in the expected state error, it means the switch or circuit is open at the start of the cut. The expected state is closed(green light off).

2 Likes

Hi, yes I meant to say breaks continuity or connection in the Z axis switch. So the switch breaks but I’m not seeing the Z move up when it faults. So what is the problem?

Does your Z axis move smoothly when you jog it up and down?

The IHS switch can show as open for a number of reasons. One is a broken wire or loose screw where the wire attaches to the switch.

If it’s not moving up to retract height after a cut, the Z axis coupler could be slipping

2 Likes

Yes, it moves smoothly, and the screws are tight. I have ohmed the wires back to the control and that checks out as well. Only thing I can see is there seems to be a lot of slop between the lead screw and the nut on the Z axis. Is it possible the nut is just worn out and not allowing the Z to retract in the allotted time and causing the IHS fault? Where does one purchase parts for this machine. I see no parts or part number list on this site or price list of any kind?

I doubt it would be worn that badly. The retract command allows a 1/2" of movement before it would throw an error.

How are you testing to see that slop? The Z carriage floats, to allow it to open the switch. You should be able to lift it up and see the IHS light turn Green in Firecontrol.

Yes just moving it up and down and watching the nut rock on the threaded shaft. I have it all apart now and cleaning everything at this point in the ultrasonic cleaner. The plastic nut does seem to be a little loose on the shaft, shaft appears to be in good shape though. Lower bearing on the lead screw is a little sketchy I will replace it while its apart.

2 Likes

Back together, ran a few small pieces to test. Worked ok first few times then failed intermittently after that. I did manage to capture it on video I will try to post it later if that’s possible on here. Thanks BTW.

1 Like

It won’t allow me to post a video of it faulting. What is the procedure for ordering parts from Langmuir? I want to get a new Z axis nut I think there may be enough slop in there causing it to bounce on the switch.

Submit a support request through the website.

Ok thanksI I will submit a ticket.

1 Like

Ok so I am having the same issue, which started in the middle of a job. I have a Crossfire XR. I found that the human hair thick wire that you run to the crimp connector has broken right at the connector. The awesome thing is it is held on with a screw which would be an easy fix but I cannot get to it. What do you need to take apart to service this? It would have been nice if you put a little shrink tubing on it or something, and maybe an access hole?