Hypertherm Powermax 45XP - use cut charts - NOT the factory cut charts

Hypertherm amperage unless stated in the chart
Is
45amps for 45amps consumables.

On thinner materials and finecuts may list a lower amperage on the charts in that case use what is listed in that chart .

If your ipm in the chart runs over 300ipm the crossfire pro speed limit then you will start reducing amperage to make up for lack of speed.
Now you’re making up your own charts so note the results and save them for later.

1 Like

Any reason for using 30amp instead of 45? Since the machine can do 45.

I cant speak for anyone else as I am green with plasma as well, but from the papers I’ve read you want to be within 95% to 100% of the rated amperage of your consumables ( not machine) for best results with less dross and post-work. My experience has been proving this to be somewhat true when cutting mild steel.
the exception I run into is the bulk of my work is on thin aluminum between 0.024"and 0.063" thicknesses where all cut charts are calling for over 400 IPM. My machine tops out at 300 IPM so that’s a huge problem and the only way I’ve found to overcome it is to chop amperage to as low as I can get it and cut as fast as I can.
Here is a link to a paper I found with a lot of good information that set me on a better path.

1 Like

Cut charts are just some place to start. You need to make your own chart for the table, plasma cutter, air compressor, consumables and metal you plan on cutting.

Hypertherm plasma cutters are tested on a $50K table in a lab, not a Langmuir table.

3 Likes