Hypertherm powermax 45 consumables

Just wondering what other powermax 45 (not xp) are using for consumables. I see they have the non shielded nozzle and tip. I only have the drag tip and nozzle setup currently.

I have the same cutter. I use the shielded consumables and I’ve had great luck with them.

Thanks for the response Jason. I researched some more and ordered the unshielded consumables. It allows the proper standoff to be set with a shim. With the sheilded consumables it has the standoff set by the drag shield and would need to be pretty much touching the plate to cut at the proper height.

Let me know how they work! I’ll give them a shot if they work well!

They work great! Cuts clean and is showing no wear after probably 1 hour of torch on time and a hundred plus pierces.

Ordering now! Thanks!!!

Please note! Use the shielded consumables with the Hypertherm systems, they will allow you to pierce thicker , cut faster (they have patented conical flow technology) and will last longer than using the unshielded process. Use the mechanized torch shield (not the castleated drag shield that is designed for hand cutting). There are multiple pages of cut charts in the Hypertherm operators manual as well as pictures, descriptions and part numbers for the consumables to be used. Even though you are using a hand torch on the Langmuir, pretend it is a machine torch (it is mounted on a machine) and use the machine shield and the machine torch cutting specs for best results. Jim Colt

1 Like

Great! Thanks for clarifiying that for us Jim. I switched to the shielded consumables and the machine torch shield setup. I have noticed an improved longevity already.

Is there a different height that’s appropriate for those vs the 0.06" standard shim?

The correct height as measured between the shield (machine torch shield) and the surface of the workpiece (material being cut) is .060" for cutting, higher for piercing. You can pierce at the cut height on materials to about 3/16" thickness, if you pierce that close on thicker materials the molten metal blowback will cause premature nozzle wear which will cause serious edge angularity issues. Most cnc plasma machines have auto height control that allows for a higher pierce height, then indexes down to the correct cut height. If you cut higher than .060", expect a severe bevel. If you pierce thicker than 3/16" with the torch at .060" height, expect very short nozzle life. One thing you could do is to set the torch at pierce height (from the Powermax operators manual cut charts) and do all of the pierces for the part you are cutting (in a different layer on your cut file), then adjust the torch to the proper cut height and edge start on all of the prepierced holes. This would provide longer nozzle life along with best edge angularity (cut height). Jim Colt

1 Like

That’s a clever approach. I’ll have to give that a try.