Hypertherm or Razorcut

The Hypertherm is the way to go - its not even close if you are considering it. No for me I am a real budget oriented person, and 2 bucks is a lot of money to me mostly because i have been disabled for decades. So, before I can shell a couple k… I need to know, Its in my livelihood . But if you are serious and can even come close to affording it - i wouldnt even dream of anthing else. By the way, I considered the everlast , and ended up with primeweld… I can not complain - its a lot of bang for the buck , I have nothing to compare it too… but it uses less air than the razors… and my compressor keeps a steady 90 psi while its cutting… keeping pace with the cutter… So, no complaints… no real complaints with dross - 80-90% comes off with a wirebrush.

1 Like

Thanks all, pulled the trigger on the XP45 this morning along with the CPC cable so I’ll have it when my PRO table arrives :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, you have the part numbers for the system (with both a hand and machine torch and CPC interface port) as well as the part number for the correct interface cable with proper connections for use with a THC. Jim Colt

1 Like

Hi Jim. Im looking a cutting steel between 1/4 and 1/2 inch regularly. will the 45xp be good enough for this or should I bump up to a 65. I currently have a 30xp and waiting on my plasma table.

Buy the 65 it will serve you a little better then the 45XP on the thicker metal.

1 Like

The 65 will be much better on 1/2". Both are 50% duty cycle at full amps but the feed rate for the 65 is 30ipm@65amps vs the 45xp at 18ipm@45amps, both for 1/2" mild steel. Also, 1/2" is the most the 45XP is rated to pierce. So if you ever needed to cut the occasional thicker piece of metal, you’d be limited with the 45XP to edge starts. If you end up cutting a lot, the 65 can run 45amp nozzles at 100% duty cycle when you’re cutting 1/4" or thinner.

Rule of thumb, buy the biggest plasma your wallet can afford. I’m on my 2nd table and 3rd plasma in a year and finally up to a Powermax 85. Buy once, cry once.

1 Like

Both the previous posts pretty much cover the answer to the original question. Depending on how much you mean by cutting “regularly” on 1/2" (one shift a day?, two, three?) or perhaps how long your cuts are (short cuts usually allow you to cut a lot without reaching duty cycle, long cuts and you could exceed duty cycle). Jim Colt

Thanks Jim

Thanks OffRoad. Maybe ill save a little more and get the 85

1 Like

Hello Folks, I am brand new to this forum and to cnc plasma cutting. I just had to tell you my little story of experience with the Razorweld 45 and the Hypertherym 45xp. I have been working for the last 2 to 3 months with my new table and Raorweld 45 cutter without much success. I would get it to start cutting a pattern and then it would stop cutting and the torch would not fire. I experimented with the speeds and the other settings and not much success. Last week I bought a Hypertherm 45 xp and hooked it up. I set everything according to the owners manual and push the button on Mach3 and off it went. I had a pretty complicated pattern loaded and the Hypertherm cut it perfectly the first time. It cost more money than the Razorweld but the performance merits the cast.

I wonder if that’s my issue ? Have the other folks with RW45s been seeing this issue? (I would gladly return my RW and pay the diff if that fixed it

my razorweld never cut right then quit working I call out to Washington to see about fix it 200 dollar ship it to them and back to me 150 for new mother board 50 dollar to put it in to see if it would work I put that money to a new one if something happen to it they will come and get give one to use better deal but more money

Is there any risk or issue with buying the 65 instead of the 45? Will it cut thin material with the same cleanliness? I will mostly be cutting 1/4” or thinner but want the option to cut thicker material. I’m guessing I will just use the 45 nozzles on it.
I plan on buying this model

And am guessing I’ll also need

I ordered my machine in December it was supposed to ship by Jan then late Feb but I suppose I’m a bit relieved because now I know to get the hypertherm instead of the razorweld. It would just be nice to know if I’m spending an extra $3600 that it’s the correct cutter for the cnc. Thanks.

Great machine. Consumables are more expensive they should last longer though. Langmuir sells cpc cable you need.

I’m running a hypertherm 65 and have had clean cuts down to 16ga and up to 1/2". I run the 65 amp consumables. I guess if I was going to do a lot of thin stuff I might try the fine kerf, but I’m nearly all 1/4" and thicker.

I run an Powermax 85 and purchased some 45 amp consumables for it for when i do thin stuff. I swap out consumables and turn the machine down to 45 amps. Then i follow the speed and kerf settings from the 45 amp table and its like I’m using a 45 amp machine. The way i look at it is you can always turn down a machine lower than it’s max amperage, but you can’t turn it up past it’s max

There are no mark capabilities with the 65.

The 45 doesn’t come in a SYNC.

The 65 can only turn down to 25 amps the 45 can turn down to 15 amps.

Both machines would have this ability but;
the 65 would cut thicker materials faster and the machine would run cooler and within its duty cycles.

I run a same set up with the 180 machine torch, i love it.

That 65sync is going to be awesome for you.

2 Likes

I was in the same situation as you. I pulled the trigger for the Hypertherm 45xp that comes with 2 torches. Regular handheld and a 110 degree. I also bought the Hypertherm CNC cable from Langmuir. I did the modification of the 110 torch to make it a machine torch. This combination has been flawless from the start. I use the hand torch to cut down 4x8 sheets by just sticking them out of my pickup bed. I would do the same thing again.

1 Like

I know I am late to dance but I am running the 30 xp ( 220 ) I have well over 4000 pierces and many hours on machine still using same consumables. I’ve never hit duty cycle but most projects are under 18" x 18". Have only screwed up one piece and that was slippage on stepper. Dont get me wrong Id love the 45 and will get one when 30xp craps out or projects get larger, but for signs and stuff and around the house 30xp is bomb.