Hypertherm machine torch VS hand torch

Hey guys, My name is Jessica and I’m new here. I’m an artist and just finished setting up my crossfire pro (well, almost). I have a hypertherm 45xp and I just installed the CPC port for the torch. I ordered a machine torch from hypertherm and it showed up used, missing screws on the brass rail and I’m I’m not happy about it. My question is… is it completely necessary to have a machine torch or can I use the hand torch? I’m thinking about just returning it. If it’s worth having then I will send it back for a new one. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

1 Like

is the brass rail the toothed rack gear?, you dont need that installed
I would keep the machine torch
you will need the machine torch bracket from langmuir

1 Like

so here are the points of having a machine torch.

• a machine torch has a longer cable to allow you to move the plasma machine further away and up on a shelf if required
  • once your torch is set up in a proper machine torch holder you do not have to remove it…you then have a hand torch to do other things with leaving the torch on the table
  • a machine torch means you do not have to remove the hand torch each time you need to change or examine the consumables and tips.
  • a machine torch sits vertical…this means no odd pressure from the wy a hand torch sits in the holder…
  • also once your torch is square to the table it will stay that way…again as there is no outward pressure from the hand torch handle.

but again amny users have only used a hand torch…I did for the first while…but I prefer the machine torch for the reasons above.

2 Likes

Even with the CPC port installed, the hand torch is not designed to function with the CPC. This means it will not fire via CPC due to a different wiring/pin configuration in the torch plug. The machine torch is designed to work with the CPC port…I recommend keeping the machine torch so you can utilize your CPC port for a simple and clean setup. My $.02. Hope this helps!

-Dan

1 Like

I agree with everybody else so far.

I have a Hypertherm 65 with both hand and machine torches and I regularly unplug the machine to do hand torch work. It’s really handy and quick to swap between them.

If the machine torch is otherwise intact I wouldn’t worry much about the gear-rack, I removed mine to mount in the Langmuir machine torch holder.

2 Likes