Hypertherm error codes (SOLVED - air pressure low)

I am trying to cut out some keychains from 22ga metal. I am using my Hypertherm 45 xp with hand torch, stock consumables, and crossfire pro with THC. I have the machine set at 30 amp and am cutting at 150 ipm. It cut out the text without any trouble but when it was about halfway on the outside cut it stopped and I got this error code on the Hypertherm.

System fault led ON solid and the Gas pressure led on solid.

I have checked my gas supply and it’s regulated at 110 psi and the compressor tank never went below 180 psi.

I am new to plasma cutting but this is my first time having any problems with the machines.

You have a filter on the back of the plasma could be stopped up. There is something restricting air flow.

2 Likes

Just so we are on the same page, here is the error code.

Do you have a pressure gauge you can put on the back of your plasma cutter?
Sometimes to clear the code, you have to turn the machine off and back on.
Do you have at least the minimum required hose size of 3/8" going to the back of the machine?
How long is your run of hose?

Here is the gas test they refer to in the above guidance:

1 Like
  1. No
  2. Yes
  3. 6 ft
1 Like

Then I would check the filter like Philip suggests. Run the gas test like above.

If turning off/on the machine does not clear the code you might be at the last comment:

3 Likes

What kind of filter system do you have? Also if a new setup you are getting to the point you are starving for air. In other words pressure dropping to the point you flame out.

motor guard m-26 and a habor freight water and oil filter with beads

1 Like

Do you have a external regulator near the plasma you can’t watch for pressure drops?

no

I ran the gas test and got 00 psi

Do you hear the air solenoid making any noise are you getting any air from the plasma?

Yes I can hear it and it sounds normal.

Did you do as instructions and pull the trigger? That is with a hand torch.

Yes.

Do you know how to check the filter on the back of the machine?

Try running it faster, 150 ipm is slow for 22ga.

How much faster?

Visually. Mine has a quarter turn lock on it. Undo the latch turn a quarter button and pull down. Yours may be different.

Max it out at 200

Is the latch on the bottom?

No should be close to the top. Do you have your manual close. That filter is probably not your issue if it is a new machine. It may be just a quarter turn.

If the gas test is measuring “00” that is your problem. It may not be truly 00 but the machine thinks it is. That sensor is probably faulty. Perhaps the sensor is stuck…I don’t know the mechanics of it so it may not be something a user can influence (such as tapping on it to shake its plunger loose).

2 Likes