Hypertherm 45xp single or three phase?!?

I bought a never used, new to me hyper therm 45 XP.

I ran a new wire from my panel per the hypertherm manual. 50amp breaker, 8/3 wire and an appropriate Nema 10-50R outlet.

The outlet reads 244 volts. L1 is 122 volts and L2 is 123 volts.

When I plug the machine in I get a fault code of ‘0-60-0’. Manual states that’s ‘alternating current (AC) input voltage phase loss.’

The guy bought it from purchased it and never used it, it was still in the box. Looking at the ‘Tested and inspected date’ on the inside of the machine it says it’s from January 2018.

After some digging online I see that you could buy a 45xp as a single phase machine or three phase machine or a machine that detects which is plugged in (which I thought they all did). Given the good readings at the outlet, I’m wondering if this is a dedicated 3 phase machine? But …. It comes on enough to power the front panel and give me that error, not sure if a dedicated three phase would do that from a single phase.

Questions:

• Does anybody know a way to tell what type of machine I got? I found a serial number but have not found a place to look that up.
  • Could the single/three phases detection be… broke
  • Can anybody with a phase switching machine post up what the internals look like on the fan side of the machine?

This is the service manual check page 183

https://www.hypertherm.com/Download?fileId=HYP174752&zip=False

3 Likes

There is a info sheet on the bottom of the unit that tells you all the electric info for that plasma cutter. Most likely you bought a three phase unit and it will not work on single phase.

that is single phase, does that match the cord on the machine?

From what I under stand a 45XP single phase unit comes with a 6-50p already formed on the power cord. You said you used a 10-50p that is a 30 amp plug and should not be used with #8 wire and a 50 amp breaker.

50P indicates 50 A rating. 10- is the pin/body configuration.

1 Like

The 3 phase versions weighs 1 -2 lbs less then the 1 phase version so I’d would guess that means they have different internals.

My Powermax 85 came as 3phase ( I rewired for 1ph) but they are designed to convert between the power types unlike the 45xp.

Its been some years from when I was a contractor, so I guess I get thing wrong some times. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for this, according to those pages this is a 3 phase machine :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I also read someplace that the 3 phase machines do not come with a plug on the end, which explains why this plug is on it.

Read the bottom get the model serial number off of it and phone hypertherm to see if they have some kind of secret internal switch over that can happen but I doubt it.

You could buy a phase converter but that’s a pain in the ass and then you lose a bunch of efficiency.

Maybe put this one up for sale and just buy another one when you sell it.

Yup, will be posting for sale and looking for another. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Like tin said converters are a hassle. eBay had some decent deals on some it you can’t get a buyer … You wouldn’t need a very large one if that is all you plan on doing with it.

1 Like

Give Hypertherm a call and they will be able to tell you everything about the machine. They have been very helpful !

OOPS, did not see previous replies!

1 Like