Hypertherm 45xp running off 30 amps

Hi I was scratching head today and I can’t figure how this works.

But my dad’s Hypertherm 45 xp has been running off a 30 amp 220V plug for about two months now and it has never tripped the breaker or thrown a code. I have set it to 45 amps and it cuts just fine.

The only reason it has been running off 30 amps is we forgot to check to breaker box till now.

it is not the breaker I am worried about as much as the wire gauge in the wall…
you could be overlaoding the rating of the wire which could result in a fire over time…

check the wire gauge and see if it is rated for 45 amps…I would bet it is not and you could be risking a fire due to wire fialure…

3 Likes

Are you insinuating the amp output is the same as the draw? That doesn’t sound true.

1 Like

Okay I will do that.

Plasma cutter output amps is not equal to current draw amps.

Look at the Hypertherm specs for the 45xp. The actual max inrush amps will depend on the actual voltage on your system. At 240 volts, the max draw is 32 amps.

Also, most electrical codes allow for running a welder or plasma cutter on a circuit that is smaller than it’s current draw, because it has a less than 100% duty cycle and is not drawing that currentt on a continuous basis.

5 Likes

Yes but when I cut 16 ga at 45 amps it the result as 30 amps

A plasma cutter cutting at 45 amps. Doesn’t draw 45 amps of power. I hadn’t checked my ht65. I did the rw45 at 45 amps output which is DC only draws about 25 amps AC. That is to the best of my recollection within a few Amps. Check the requirements for your plasma.

3 Likes

Ok thanks I will check that.

1 Like

When you cut at 45A, the voltage at the steel is probably around 90-95 volts so around 4250Watts.

The current drawn from the wall socket is 240V at 30A which translates to 7200Watts.

The power delivered to the Torch will always be less than the power drawn from the wall. Mother Nature says so.

3 Likes