Hypertherm 45 XP questions . Newbie

Hello, I am new to the forum. I haven’t even ordered the table yet , but want to find out what I’m getting myself into.
I have hypertherm 45 XP, without a CPC port.
It has a standard handheld torch.
Is the CPC port required if a machine torch is used? I thought I might be able to save some wiring hassles by buying a machine torch from Hypertherm . Or is it just as easy (or hard), to run the regular handheld torch
Also, is there a good tutorial for wiring in a hypertherm machine?

Thanks, Roger

1 Like

I am not sure how the machine torch is fired. Maybe someone else can answer that - that uses it. It is not a big deal to hardwire the handheld.

Thanks appreciate it

I would just use what you have and wire it up.I followed a tutorial on here and did mine.The 45xp has worked fine for the things I have cut so far and all I have is the hand torch.

I think the consensus would be - that if you want to use a high-end machine torch for the quality and consumables - do that, However, I would not - try to use as a means of eliminating complexity of wiring it. It just seems like the wrong objective.

1 Like

The machine torch on Hypertherm Powermax units is interlocked (safety reasons) to only start from the optional CPC interface port. The hand torch (again, safety reasons) is interlocked to only fire when the trigger switch is pressed. There are good safety reasons behind this. Of course you can hack the wiring and hotwire around the interlocks, however if you have warranty issues with the plasma cutter…be sure you put everything back to original before sending it to a repair center…as the warranty could be voided with modified wiring. Using the CPC with a machine torch is the best way for machine cutting. A hand torch is designed ergonomically for hand held plasma cutting. Jim Colt

1 Like

the company i work for has the table and we bought a hypertherm powermax 45xp i wired into the connection end at the machine so that it is near the comp that i use to control the table the only thing with this is that you have to remember to turn the safety on and off when you finish a program as it stops the gun from continuous release of air and makes it safe to work around only annoyance i have found so far is that some times first cuts dont start and im not sure why at the moment