Don’t do it! It’s a trick! Synthetically generated by an ill-informed AI bot! ![]()
Made a couple offsets for a job where the furnace needed to be relocated. They are 18x8 with a 20" offset. I forgot to take installed pictures. When I pickup the cheque next I’ll take one with them in place. This house I originally installed the duct and furnace while I was an apprentice in the mid/ late 90’s.
Dam TinMan you got tht down to a science. ![]()
This project really shows the value of THC!
![]()
Finished a couple other fittings from that session. 16x3 9" rising tap in.
I had to drop off an invoice at that customer’s house at the job the offsets were installed at so I got a couple install pictures of that too
Weirdly enough this is the return Edge side of the system. It does look off
Its always interesting to see what other people make when they do their own jobs. if it was me I wouldve done a 23x8 to 18x8 flat on left transition with a 6" length (entry tap) with a 1" flange out to s+d. Probably do 2 x 60 degree sq throat sq heel longway elbows and a 4 ft piece of duct. I absolutely hate pissing around with pounding ogee offsets with big offsets. That inside tight radius makes me wanna rage just looking at it.
They can be tough.
like all jobs I would have done it different if there wasn’t budgetary constraints,I probably would have just moved the return air duct over 20 in.
What are the angled “bends” there for on the “S” panels, stiffening? How are you adhering the top and bottom “S” panels to the sidewalls? Spot welds? This is all galvanized, right? What are you doing for zinc fumes?
Exactly. With ductwork we usually cross brake or bead panels bigger than 8 inches wide.
In my case I use a Pittsburgh machine to create a Pittsburgh seam on the edge that’s then hammered together. Some shops have a snap lock seamer which is a little bit different but ends in the same result.
I normally cut my galvanized at the end of a day while wearing my full respirator. All air out the shop , stack patterns and then usually assemble them the next day. If not I just wear my full respirator until I’m done fabricating.
Edit: An example of a Pittsburgh seam.
If you cutting galv and breathing in that smoke, I find drinking milk and having your head lower than your chest is huge if you got sick cause of it. Some of the gases are heavier than air so they sit in your lungs. Sitting on the couch upside down is my go to, hard to drink a beer at the same time though.
Google metal fume fever
A couple of mouthfuls of zinc vapor isn’t going to make the average person sick. If you’re huffing it for an hour + you’re asking for issues. I’ve seen folks get all bent out of shape hearing folks weld on galv, or cut it (you should see the worry if you ever say you’re going to cast Zinc!) It’s not instant death or maiming. Tin is doing all the things right to stay safe. Zinc fumes are filtered out by the correct respirator filter. The white dust masks from Home Despot aren’t going to cut it. I love Harbor Freight but I don’t get my lung PPE from there either. Be as safe as possible when you cut anything. Ventilation is incredible important to the metal working hobby/industry. Like Ms. Twain made famous in the 90’s (YES, I’m old!) “Don’t Be Stupid!”
Clean work. Looks like you might be a fellow Rheem dealer.
R968mv?
We’re just selling off our last R410A Rheem product. Moving to R454B here in Canada only about 20% more for coils and condensers with almost no efficiency return for the client…
I also sell and install the exact same HRV.
The vanee or venmar virtuo s
As a Rheem dealer how many IFC boards have you gone through on the r96’s.. ![]()
It was some off brand I never heard of. Customer supplied the furnace, think it was brought over from Alberta to Saskatchewan. Could be a rheem with a different name. I dont like the control board with an inch off the bottom of the furnace. Asking for a basement flood.
Comfortmaker is my go to brand now. I tried Continental, Coleman, Lennox, Goodman. Just seem to have less issues with Comfortmaker in general.
R410A jugs are pure gold right now, they cant make R454 fast enough. Rumour mill i heard is Honeywell has the patent for R454 and they won’t share it with anybody, so there’s a shortage.
I sold tempstar for years which is under that same icp/carrier umbrella. Decent product.
Unless the basement is a walk out I never put my furnace on the floor. Always up on a riser.
The only way I do customer supplied product is a time material basis. in general I try to skip these jobs.
In rheem s case the control boards are failing because of manufacturer defect in the solid state relays that are mounted on the board.
I hope the switch over isn’t as awkward as r22 to r410a
Our work office (Texas) outside unit recently gave up, 410 unit. The usual AC guy said in order to replace the unit if he can’t locate just the compressor he would need to install a new (inside and out ) R454B unit. Ontop of that he would need to install leak detectors in our false ceiling void space as it’s flammable should it leak. How did this stuff ever get passed to be the new standard.
Im all for them developing different refrigerants, but I am still leary of heat pumps becoming more popular where I live. I wish they could get the boiling point even lower cause it can get -40c here no problem and I’m too skeptical to try it personally. Seems dumb to ban making r410a when they can’t make r454b fast enough to fill demand.
My bud wants to try and install a solar powered mini split ac, he’s waiting to find a victim to see how well they work. Would be great in off grid cabins. If you guys have installed any of these, how are they?












