Hpertherm XP45 400V 3-phase configuration?

Hi there, I purchased the pro with the bundled XP45 and machine torch, however I am based in New Zealand and did not realise the 45XP as supplied by Langmuire is what appears to be 208V single phase machine of about 45A peak draw. I went back and looked on the Langmuire website and there are no options for alternative power configurations of this machine. Here in New Zealand we run 240V single phase or 400V 3 phase (4 wires including a neutral, 208V per phase). Our buildings are not wired to handle the high current single phase as we run higher voltage and lower current in industrial applications and our phases run 120deg phase separation vs what I think is 180deg phase separation in the USA. The XP45 appears to be available as a 400V 3 phase machine, and I am wondering if the machine can be opened up and configured as-such? The cost to return is high, and Langmuir will take a 10% restocking fee also, which is understandable. I would however prefer if I could just reconfigure the machine and use it on 400V 3 phase, even if that has warranty implications. I can not find any documentation online to do so, but Im hoping someone here can point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance

It does look like some of the internals are different.

Attached is a copy of the full service manual which has quite a bit more information then operators manual.

1 Like

Thanks TinWhisperer, I appreciate the info. On the pics it looks like the only real difference is the input wires (23, 24) and the PFC Inductor positioning. Perhaps its worth me opening up to see if there is provisioning there to switch wiring positions

You can NOT wire the 240 volt single phase 45XP for 400 volt 3 phase.

2 Likes

thanks for this. I guess I will be returning the unit then and purchasing a 3 phase unit. Its a shame this was not made clearer during purchasing, or 3 phase was not given as an option. I am now looking at a second hand 3 phase XP45 unit here in NZ to get me up and running.

1 Like

have you talked with a electrician or electrical engineer to see if there is a way to convert your single phase to what the cutter requires?

Thanks, I have an 8000sqft factory which myself and my friend wired - he is an electrical inspector/engineer at a power plant, military trained. We have been in constant dialog over the last day or 2 trying to figure out how to do it, but there are many compromises with running a dedicated 50A 240V circuit, and we are unsure that we will have enough total power when this circuit is running with other machines running. For instance we have a large flat bed CNC router which draws nearly 20kw also. His conclusion was that the way the USA power system works is pretty bizarre, and in fact in some cases quite unsafe (ie the use of no neutral). I had already pre-wired the a dedicated circuit in the shop in the weeks leading up to receiving the plasma, assuming 400V 3-phase would be standard or configurable on a machine like this - it never occurred to me that single phase would even be an option given the power draw. To be clear we have 240V available, it is the current draw that is the issue as we commonly only go up to 16A on single phase.

I think the reason Hypertherm does not offer that with a 3phase option is, in the US that is a very small machine low draw. Designed for DIY and very light duty work.

In the US, a 15amp single phase circuit would be a light duty in residential homes.

1 Like

I am surprised that there is not a transformer that would work in you application. In the US there are many machines in use that are made in other countries

1 Like