Help me make this cutable

Ok so this is 154" long and 36" wide. This was a DXF given to me if that makes any difference.

I want to cut one half at a time. I put a line down the middle at 77" thinking I could just cut half of it at a time, but when I go to select my geometry I can get that line to show up?

So I was going to set it up to cut the small slots on one end first at 28IPM.
Then set up another cut at 48IPM for the big slots and was going to move around so I am not cutting one large slot next to one that just got cut (help with heat)
next I was going to cut a little over half of the perimeter.
Then I would set up the same cuts for the other end.

Once first half was cut I pause firecontrol and move the plate then resume.
What do you think of this Idea?
I also am having trouble with cut direction. when I switch from CW to CCW my cut goes to the outside.
23-004C-W03 QTY 1 v1.f3d (129.5 KB)

Here you go
23-004C-W03 QTY 1 v1 v1 (1).f3d (146.1 KB)

I take that back. I did not read how big it was. You may need to index it. Maybe someone who has done that can help you.

2 Likes

Really you’re going to take it back? I believe that’s against Forum rules. There is only one guy that will know sure and that’s super @TomWS

1 Like

Well, @Bigdaddy2166 COULD have ‘taken it back’ by simply deleting his post before anyone cited it. Now he’s stuck and we’re gonna continue to LOAO at the file. Well, actually, I won’t because it’s a Fusion file and I won’t bother with it and, well, John’s a nice guy, and, well, even if it is too big, Bigger is Better, right? Indexing is easy with SheetCam, I haven’t done it with Fusion, probably there’s a manual or tutorial on that, but then @TinWhisperer has sucked it up and you’ll need to make a trade to get it…

5 Likes

I tried to help. I agree that Sheetcam is the way to go.
I have never done a index cut before.
I’m waiting to see the results.

2 Likes

“Be the Tool”

Cutter compensation aka radius comp or diameter comp is an incremental move that compensates for the difference of what you wanted and what you got. In your instance, you would be using G42 and moving to the right side of the programmed path. If you were driving down the street, you would be on the right side of the centerline. If you turn around, you would still drive on the right side of the centerline but you would be on the other side of the road.

I did live stream about index cutting a few months ago but that video evaporated into The ether. I’m out of town but when I get back I can put together a video on index cutting using Fusion.

The main trick to it is use a sketch element to split up the drawing into sections that can be referenced in the manufacturing section when creating the setups.

2 Likes

Index cutting isn’t hard but I recommend practicing on something small before doing something expensive. You don’t have to really do something massive to learn how to lineup your cuts. These days people are adding lasers which makes it a lot easier. There might be do few ways to do get it cut but i like to have separate files and break them apart like the picture. If your you line don’t show up check the eye which I marked with arrow.

3 Likes

John
I took a look at that file and it cut the top slots twice and did not cut the bottom. I take it you meant for it to cut the bottom slots and not cut the top twice correct?

Ok I was able to correct this with your guidance by switching from left side to right side in the cut menu. Thank You!

I dont think I have ever had to do that before, could this be due to me getting a DXF from another CAD program?

After thinking this through some more, I remembered the sheet will all ready cut to width and length. All I need to do is cut the slots.

Here is my plan:

Mark the sheet right in the middle
Put sheet on table with origin at top left same as my table homes too.
Cut all slots on first half of sheet
When done, pause machine and slide sheet so my halfway mark on sheet is at home position of my machine
Continue and cut slots on the 2nd half of sheet
Dose this make sense?
I will wait to see Tins video to see if it looks close to how I am thinking.
Let me know what you think
Thank you

1 Like

Sorry for the miscommunication. The sheet I ordered is all ready cut to size. I think I have it figured out here is the file tell me what you think.

23-004C-W03 QTY 1 v3.f3d (146.3 KB)

I don t know how to put origin the direction you want

1 Like

Ok So I think I have this correct other than Z points down. I will have to look into how to fix it.
Maybe I can send to Autodesk and they can take a look?

Ok here is what I did and why

When I set the cut path for the large slots I jumped around to keep heat spread out over the sheet to keep from warping.
I also did this, as I will slow the rapids down and this will give plasma cutter time to cool and stay in the duty cycle.

As per @TinWhisperer I set another Origin halfway down on the sheet this will allow me to pause at the 77" mark (halfway) and slide sheet up so the halfway mark is at the home position on the table.

23-004C-W03 QTY 1 Rev1 v1.f3d (213.9 KB)
Tin, Thank you for all your help!

2 Likes

Although I have never tried indexing of a cut. It sure looks like a royal pain in the a#&.
I sure hope this works for you. That’s a lot of metal.

Try making a six foot piece on a 2x2 CF… :thinking:

But, with the right process, it’s actually pretty easy… :grinning:

Given some of the work I’ve seen you do, I’m surprised that you could be daunted by anything!

3 Likes

I completely agree with you. It has never come up in my plasma world… I’m sure you and the TinMan would help me throughout the process.

1 Like

I may do 20 or 30 dry runs. :rofl:

2 Likes

I totally agree with that also!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Guys can you look at this and tell me why it happened. I downloaded it the file from Fireshare and cut it without realizing the stars are all screwed up. Why did it happen.
American Flag big.nc (138.3 KB)
I thought at first it was my machine but after looking at the file closer it is the file.
Thanks and hope everyone is having a safe weekend.

You should have started another thread for your question, because it’s not really related to the topic here.

It would help to see the original file, instead of the .nc file. In looking at the .nc file with NC viewer, it’s clear that most of the stars are oddly shaped.

I looked on Fireshare and the only similar flag was the SCALE FLAG DXF file. I opened that flag file in Sheetcam and all of the stars appear to be perfectly shaped. Did you modify the file in any way before creating the .nc file?

1 Like