Help deciding what plasma to buy

I just ordered the crossfire xr 4x8 and i think im going to use a everlast plasma. I cant decide between the 62i an the 82i. usually bigger is better but i read on here that the 82i might be limited on the thinner material, is this true? if it is than the 62i would be the better option?

thank you

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/sites/everlastgenerators/files/downloads/467c5d5d3d45cd73503e4f44901e71c7.pdf

It looks like they can all be turned to 20 amps output?

Do you mind posting a link to what you read on here.

In the manual all three sizes of the machine torches are only recommended down to the .9 nozzle.

The hand torch has a .8 and .6 option.

So your torch bodies likely going to be the limiting factor not your power supply

1 Like

And hello welcome to the langmuir forums!

1 Like

yes sorry i forgot to add that its the torch thats the limiting factor, im going to be using the cnc torch. from what you said even the 60 is limited to the .9 nozzle? is there any way to fix this issue? i just trying to get a machine where im not really limited with what i can do with the table.

this is where i read about the torch consumables issues. but there was not much said about it after it was mentioned

1 Like

Buy a hypertherm PowerMax 45 XP

It will actually put more energy into the work then a 62i.

It will cut faster in almost every application.

And if you search on here there’s guys cutting 1 inch plate with that machine and there’s also guys doing very high definition work thin gauge materials with that machine.

It is truly the only high-definition plasma power unit available single phase.

Plus it has marking capabilities.

It’s also two and a half times as much money as the 62 I.

But if it’s more than just a hobby for you and you’re actually trying to be in business 45xp all day.

It’s more reliable

more efficient

Uses less consumables

Controls the air pressure.

There’s not really anything that holds a candle to it.

I started out with a 60s everlast and I did really like that machine so I’m not hating on everlast.

1 Like

If I wasn’t interested myself in trying out the marking capabilities and I had time to wait, I would consider a PowerMax 65 sync.

1 Like

im just starting out and seeing where it goes. trying to improve my fabrication skills and quality of work. i found the hypertherm powermax 45xp for 2100? does that sound right? if so thats only 600ish more. unless im looking at the wrong one. do you have a link?

actually the machine set up with 25 ft leads is 2300, i feel like its a buy once cry once type of deal here. if i want the best performance out of my table this is the way to go?

2 Likes

It depends what you mean by performance.

If you’re going to cut 1/2 to 1 inch material all day

No

You would want to go to a bigger unit.

If you going to cut between 26 gauge and half inch mostly. I can’t imagine a machine that will perform better.

Also for fine cut definition also the best machine out there currently I believe.

Maybe someone else has some suggestions?

2 Likes

They’re about $3100cdn here in Canada so $2300us that makes sense.

I think my PowerMax 85 cost me well over $5,000 cdn

Invest the money in a Hypertherm machine. If you’re going to consistently cut 3/8” or thinner and the occasional 1/2”, 45xp is the ticket. If you know up front your going to cut a decent amount of 1/2” and thicker, step up to a 65 or 85.

I understand the money savings on the plasma purchase, but at the end of the day, the Hypertherm will work day in, day out and the consumables will last longer. The money savings in consumables alone will justify the purchase. Once you have the table, you’ll quickly realize how valuable of a tool it is and understand how the slightly higher upfront investment on the plasma itself is worth it.

Plenty of people have great results with machines other than Hypertherm, but look at all the big name table companies, 99.5% of them sell Hypertherm machines to go with their tables, there’s a reason for that. I bought my Hypertherm a couple years before I even bought a table, knowing that it would eventually be used on a table. Before buying mine, I used solely thermal dynamics machines for over a decade. Before buying, I talked to a handful of people that had thermal dynamics machines on tables and they all hated them and either upgraded to a Hypertherm or used other peoples tables that had a Hypertherm on it.

So don’t take my constant recommendations for a Hypertherm as “you should buy one just because I did”, the proof’s in the pudding.

2 Likes

Can anyone suggest where to purchase a 45xp from?

Bonus points for model number recommended for a XR. #088121? (Hypertherm Powermax45 XP Machine System CPC 25' Leads - 088121 — Baker's Gas & Welding Supplies, Inc.)

I am trying to determine whether to wait a couple weeks for the sync or just go with the hyperthermia 65, there is not much reviews or benefit analysis yet. Anyone have any insight/thoughts?

Welcome to the forums.

I think you could be happy with both of those power supplies.

I was able to pre-order some SYNC consumables and an adapter for my PowerMax 85 hopefully I’ll get them around mid to the end of next month.

The Kerf with is the incredible part both those machines when using the new SYNC consumables.

I do think the operating cost for the consumables are going to run on par with the Legacy consumables for the duramax torch.

Myself if I was buying a new machine I would buy 85SYNC. Try out the new features. I think that consumable tracking would be super useful for production and pricing in the future.

One thing to consider is soon as the SYNC start shipping they’ll be a lot of PowerMax 65s and 85s hitting the used market for some pretty affordable pricing.

it’s win-win for both those choices. it really boils down to how much money you want to spend for the extra features.

If you search SYNC in the magnifying glass there’s a few different topics about it . here’s a couple links below too.

1 Like

One thing to take into consideration is your consumables. I started with the Razorweld but eventually upgraded to a Miller Spectrum 375. I gave the Razorweld to my nephew. The miller cost 3 times as much and I was just as happy with the Razor weld I’m actually thinking about going back. The Miller cost 3x as much and so do the consumables that it seems I have to change out even more often,