Hello from the BYU

Hello everyone! Just bought a Crossfire Pro and Everlast 82i. I have so much learning to do. I’ve never done CAD. I’ve always fabricated sheet metal with grinding discs, saws, and whatever else will cut through it. So needless to say I had an epiphany years ago with CNC plasmas, but never pulled the trigger, because they were out of my price range, until now. In the simplest forms it just cuts out metal accurately and consistently. Better than any human can. If only it was that simple. It seems there are a lot of settings and different variables that affect cut quality. Definitely doesn’t look like a plug-and-play setup even though the YouTubers make it look so simple. Anyway I guess I’ll be on this forum and the tube trying to suck in as much knowledge as I can.

1 Like

It’s pretty simple, once you understand the workflow. Learning to do CAD drawings is the steepest learning curve. For someone new to CAD and CNC, its a lot to learn all at once, but there is plenty of help here.

Too many people buy these tables thinking that its going to be as simple as plugging it in, downloading a drawing and pushing the “start” button. Those people are very disappointed when they find out it doesn’t work like that and they also need a compressor, something to dry the air from the compressor and a 220 outlet for the plasma cutter.

While you are waiting for the table to arrive, spend some time learning to use Fusion 360 or any CAD drawing program of your choice and Inkscape. Make sure your space is set up with a clean.dry air supply and a 220 outlet for the plasma.

There are lots of helpful people in this forum, so feel free to ask any questions you have.

3 Likes

Thank you. I knew it wouldn’t be plug and Play from day one, but that’s with everything that is worth something. I’ve been having a 80 gallon compressor along with a homemade pipe air dryer with drain spickets.

Unfortunately I have to upgrade my wiring to the carport/garage which is a 70ft run. I only put #8 which is only good for 50 amps. That was good for the welding machines and compressor if used one at a time. Fortunately I ran it in 2" conduit for future upgrades, so running #2 THHN shouldn’t be that big of a deal. My enclosed garage space is only 8x24, so I’m having to close in 9x24ft of the carport area to give me the needed room. I just feel so overwhelmed with all I have to do and learn, but know it will be worth it in the end.

1 Like

the hardest part is deciding what design software you want to use…there are so many outhtere…but only fucion360 and sheetcam are programs capable of converting a SVG/DFX into G-code or TAP files…

do not worry about FireControl…it is pretty easy…

I know because 18months ago I knew zero about CNC…now I am am making coin doing it…

Since you are getting an Everlast 82i…look for postings here on everlast …I posted some pictures on how and where to wire in for RAW voltage…the CNC plug on the back of the plasma is really only trustworthy for on/off

1 Like

I played around with fusion 360 already and made an lb by following a YouTube video. There’s so much new lingo that I had to rewind multiple times to understand what was going on and I still don’t lol.

I think that was either you or another gentleman that has a video about wiring up to the CNC port on the Everlast. Is it something that I’m going to have to take it apart to wire up or does it wire straight to the CNC port and I have to just do some soldering?

I’m also trying to find the video of the older gentleman that had a whole video about how to use a drag track. I didn’t even know what a drag track was until I saw his video. I’ve seen them before, but didn’t know what they were called. It just really cleaned up the machine and look like it was relatively inexpensive to do.

it is simple to open up the plasma cutter and tie into the lugs inside the plasma cutter on the lugs that feed the torch and material clamp…very easy to do…

what do you plan to do with the table…production parts…graphic signs…there are other great programs that are easy to design with…and then Sheetcam is a simple purchase and easy to use software for taking a design and making g-code for the table…

Looks simple enough. I plan on doing whatever work comes my way. What I want to do is more on the automotive fab side, but pretty sure that some of my friends and family are going to want signs and whatnot.