Grapple for compact tractor

The guy I made the grapple for got r done and said it works great. He got the hoses and cylinder from a surplus site.

6 Likes

Nice! Thank you for bringing this topic to completion and sharing.

Did you figure out the final weight?

Don’t know what the cylinder weighs, I guessing 175lbs definitely not over 200 with cylinder.

1 Like

Nice work…

I did a little experiment with my grapple. I was testing its limits and I definitely found them. I used a log weight chart at Log Weight Calculator | Wood Weight Calculator to guesstimate the weight.

In this first photo, this log is 20 inch on small end and 22 inch on the large end and about 11.8 feet long. It fit, but just barely. And when I say it fit, the upper jaw was able to hold it without risk of shifting but the jaw was not strong enough to pluck the log off the ground. I had to slide the lower jar under just a bit, clamp the upper jaw and then lift until I could tilt the grapple upwards. At that point, I could lift the upper jaw and the log would slide back into the grapple, resting on the back. Then the upper jaw secured in that location. This log was estimated to be 1,107 pounds. (The log could be easily lifted overhead if I desired but that would be unsafe.)

Now this log was 24 inches on the small end and 25 inches on the large end and was 8 feet long. As you can see it would not stay in the back of the grapple bucket with the upper jaw was engaged and without it engaged, the log was falling out of the grapple as any tip of the tractor would upset it. Also to my amusement, the slight forward shift drastically affected my ability to lift the bucket. The hydraulics were maxed out at this height. The loader refused to lift higher. By using the tilt method and releasing the upper jaw, the log would shift back into the grapple frame and I could then lift it higher.
Close view:

From one tree, I am estimating that I will have loosely, 1.5 cords. This tree blew down in a storm 2-1/2 years ago. I had feared that I left it lay down on the ground too long. But, I was lucky…still good wood.

8 Likes

You guys are killiin me! I want a grapple really bad but have not bought or made one due to…anyway, I don’t have one.

I need to get busy this Winter and make one. I have a Kubota 3130 (32hp) and a New Holland 1710.

It seems like I am always moving tree brush trying to keep my hay field and the rest of 14 acres cleared.

My crew hanging out together:

2 Likes

You won’t regret having one.

Carrying out and stacking the logs are only half of the value. There were numerous times that after limbing this beast of a tree, I had so much debris to walk over. No problem: Just use the grapple like a power rack and lightly shovel/push a pile of limbs. Then clamp down with the upper jaw and lift up and carry out of the vicinity. I basically had to build a path to get to the large sections of this tree.

If I had to do this by hand, I think I would have given up. My knees will not tolerate the twisting and tugging on large braches anymore.

1 Like

FWIW: you might want to consider modifying that fork setup to have top grapple arms that attach and come down from the top- maybe also something that slides on the forks to provide a grate to keep small debris from falling through. they key is the overall weight, keep it as light as possible and you’re going to be able to haul more.
i have a large grapple for my Kubota MX4800 that was really meant for a skid steer… it’s plenty heavy duty but it does weigh alot- pretty easy to say it’s in excess of 500 lbs… best thing for our property ever as hauling brush by hand sucks.

3 Likes

ONE THING TO WATCH WHEN USING A GRAPPLE FOR PICKING UP LIMBS… a friend of mine sent a limb up through his radiator and fan as he didn’t see it when he was crowding up the pile of limbs to haul them off with his tractor mounted grapple. that cost a few bucks.

3 Likes

Amen!

I was constantly thinking about that yesterday. I have used this tractor for more than 25 years and in my younger days I have punctured a tire and nearly wrecked the steering linkage with limbs. I kept reminding myself and with a little luck and patience I avoided any mishaps. I even told my wife, “When I first got this tractor, I would have tore it up with what I just accomplished today!”

1 Like

First project I did when I got my rivnut setter was to add a heavy gauge expanded metal grille guard to the Kubota. All the brush I push it would have likely happened to mine by now. I put two Nilight LEDs in behind the new grille guard. Worked out real well.

Those awesome little lights are on sale right now on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Nilight 2PCS 18W 1260lm Spot Driving Fog Light Off Road Led Lights Bar Mounting Bracket for SUV Boat 4" Jeep Lamp,2 years Warranty : Automotive

2 Likes

for my buddy it was a total fluke, he crowded into a pile of bush to pick it up, when backing up a branch kicked up over the back side of the front axle and went up through the back of the fan into the radiator, destroyed both and also the front hood. i like the idea of a front grill guard also for the 99% of stuff that hits from the front.

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. Since I gave up on getting the $98,000 flight simulator chair, some funds have freed up:

1 Like

Here’s mine. I probably should have extended it on down, but after 800 hours and MUCH brush clearing there are no dents in that lower section. Its a metal mesh panel on my model. Even if a limb went through there, battery tray (very strong) and lower part of the battery are first in line. I know, not good, but better than lights, radiator, fan, etc.

I had planned to add. That’s why there are no rivnuts at the bottom.

3 Likes

That does sound like a fluke. I’ve worried over the years about bottom side damage, but so far I’ve never dented or broke anything off.

1 Like

Didn’t I see that in Mad Max?? :rofl: :+1:

1 Like