Good Habits for better cutting success

I tried to get David to start this topic. A number of people on this forum, other than me, should be writing this.
Today, David made a statement about what he should do but doesn’t always do it. I thought that many of you have some tip(s) that you would have given yourself in the first year of learning your craft. I made up a list just to get started but am hopeful that others will give input. And like Knick has said, ranking the items would be a great idea. Perhaps none of my items will even end up in the final list of “best Good Habits.”

If need be, we might have three list: Good, Bad and Humor.

Here goes:
Advice I would give myself, if I were just learning CNC Plasma cutting with the Langmuir system.

1. Be sure to have the torch, work zero and program origin all at the same location before starting your cut.

2. When cutting an expensive piece, consider a manual pierce at work zero in case you need to recover the cut program. (Paraphrased from David @DS690 - sorry/not sorry for putting you on the spot).

3. When picking the software you will use for CAD/design stay with one program long enough that you can make and modify a simple design. You should be able to vary the size, location and number of features without referring to notes or video before moving to the next CAD/design program. Now you have a benchmark to test another CAD/design program to see what feels intuitive for you. Pick the one that aligns more closely to your final goal. Stay with that one program until you have some sense of mastery before allowing yourself to question your decision. It is okay to change your mind after you master one program.

4. Cut out something fun when you first start, if you need to, but then get to business with improving the cut and nailing down your settings. Otherwise, you will be wasting a lot of metal and time.

5. Check that the air supply is on (and adequate) and work lead is attached to the metal before pressing “START.”

6. Don’t skimp on your consumables. Buy quality and check them like children on a playground. It is not “IF something will happen, but WHEN something will happen” when talking about children and consumables.

7. Buy everything that BigDaddy recommends. (Couldn’t help but adding this one.) :rofl:

9 Likes

Now I don’t know if my wallet can keep up with bigdaddy!! Do we have a gofund me for tool addicts?

2 Likes

Well BigDaddy recommended a few things that I just had to say: Nope. But I whispered it so he didn’t hear.

3 Likes

Amen, Pastor Jimmy.

3 Likes
  1. Confirm the location of your work piece (ground) clamp at the start of every cut. Ensure placement on the work piece and out of cut path/cable entanglement risk.

2. Run a dry run and watch for: likely tip ups/torch crashes; cable mgmt issues; water splash off the table and consider laying a piece of scrap to block it; finish point water slash impacts.

3. Check for compressor “just about to kick on” as kicking on during initial pierce can cause a fault (force it on before cut).

4. If you’ve had electromagnetic interference issues, unplugged whatever, position laptop, uncoil power cords, place rabbits foot in left hand, rub budda’s belly.

6 Likes

That is a good point, for sure if your power supply is stretched.

:rofl: Are you saying there is a little luck with what we are doing?! I like it. Definitely makes the list for humor.

2 Likes