Generating Tool Path and Running out of Memory

I am trying to create a tool path for a very basic sign. After a considerably long time Fusion 360 keeps failing to generate the tool path saying there is not enough memory. I have 16 GB of RAM. When I look in my task manager it says Fusion 360 is only using 25% of the memory resources, but will then shoot up to 98% and then fail. Also when I am trying to do this I have nothing else running. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I should have done a search on this topic before posting. I did some more searching, and found the suggestion of generating multiple tool paths. I did that and it worked fine.

2 Likes

In one of the tabs on your cut profile is a setting for line following tolerance. (I forget what is called. I’m not at my computer. ) the default setting is WAY tight. I change mine to .003 (which is still plenty precise) that alone has cured most of my 360 post-processing issues. I never have anything take more than about 30 sec to process

If you get a chance could you take a screen shot of the tab and option you are talking about? I would really appreciate it! Thank you.

Sorry it took me so long.

3 Likes

No worries! Thank you for sharing the setup. I will give it a shot.

DID you ever get it straightened out? im having the same issue with 32 gigs of ram on an i9.

Yes I did. I ended up generating multiple tool paths under the same setup (see below). That helped to break the process up, and didn’t bog down my computer. Please let me know if that helps.

1 Like

You can change the name of each toolpath setup. Click in the name (2D Profile2 or 2D Profile3 etc) and overtype it. That way you can name them something that will make sense to you later looking at the G-Code.

I use names like “Outer Cut” or “Tiny holes no lead-in” or “Line cut no offset”, etc. That makes it easier to find my place in the GCode if I’m looking for specific cuts.

1 Like

Great idea! I will have to start doing that. Thanks for the input.

How do you actually generate the multiple tool paths in CAM?