Gantry seems stiff (Solved)

I have a crossfire pro. After installing the y-axis rails, the carriages seemed to move very freely. I took this to be a good thing. After installing the gantry and tightening the adjustable bearing blocks, the carriages have much more resistance. Perhaps this shouldn’t surprise me since I’m tightening the bearings down on the y rail in this step, but I just wanted to check and make sure that this is normal. Any thoughts?

First…welcome to thw forum…

Next…

STOP!!!
re-read the instructions as it is made clear not to overtighten the bearing blocks…only 1 bearing really needs to touch…
if you were to remove the drive screws the gantries shold glide like roller skates…real smooth…

the bearing blocks should be snug enough not to wobble…no tighter…you can always add a little more tension later…

4 Likes

Thanks for the response. I checked the instructions multiple times and only tightened up the set screw until there was no play between the carriage and the y Axis rail. I wouldn’t say there’s a LOT of drag, just more than there was before tightening them at all. Would you say that is normal?

I loosened it up quite a bit, feels a lot more like what I would expect. Taking your advice and if I notice any issues I will tighten it up later. Thank you very much for your quick response this morning!

2 Likes

It takes a little testing and adjusting to get it right. The problem being that the bearings get tighter when you tighten down the bolts that hold the red blocks.

1 Like

That was exactly the problem that I found. Originally my thought process was that once you adjusted the set screw to the right tension, you tighten down the bearing blocks to lock that position (and that amount of tension). That obviously was incorrect because tightening down the bearing block causes the tension on the y rail to increase even more. Meaning that you have to start off looser than you would expect. At any rate, I think it’s fairly well dialed in right now.

3 Likes