Gantry and Y axis rail issue

I have a problem and I hope the smart folks out there can help me. I’ve had the machine for several months but life happened so I’m just getting it started. The gantry moved smoothly on the y axis for a few cuts but now it stutters (not riding smoothly). When I jog the machine I noticed the right side (when you’re standing in front of the machine opposite the electronics) moves first and seems to throw it out of square. I’m not sure what to do. What are the adjustments? What would cause the right side to move first when jogging? Am I missing something? I would appreciate any help! Thanks Gary

Have you checked the motor couplers? Some do come loose. I found some loose bolts on my machine today. I know they were tight but today, not so! I had a couple of loose bearing blocks. So you can start by checking the motor to ball screw couplers. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

genesibley is right…check your motor couplers…they have been known to come loose or not be tight enough.
also…I would check or double check your gantry smooth glides…take out your drive screws…move your gantries around…make sure they are really smooth…then check the diameter of the end the coupler connects to…make sure they are not worn…misshapen…or undersized…
put it all together again and try it.

Are you hearing missing steps when the racking happens? If not, then as others have suggested the issue is likely a loose motor coupler.

genesibley, toolboy, and daniel, thank you for the suggestions! I ended up taking the gantry off and using the arrow keys to move the y axis carriages. Same issue. I disconnected the right side (opposite the electronics box) and used my arrow key to move the carriage. Holy cow, it moved smoothly. I’m wondering if I had a loose connection to the electronics box. thank you again and I’m off to ask another question. take care!

hey…you`re welcome…just remember your time will come to help someone out…

1 Like

What toolboy said! I forgot about Electronics bc I haven’t had those problems yet? Did find some loose bolts on the bearing blocks the other day though, poor maintenance I guess! I found them when I was lubing the ball screws. Glad to hear that you found the problem

What do u lube the screw with that will not degrade the plastic nut

I am using sewing machine oil…

3-in-1 oil. Used to be in the documentation somewhere but I don’t recall if it made it into the Pro doc or note.

I’m using 3-n-1 oil

Hopefully your using the silicone based one, any petrolium oil with a rust inhibitor is not good for any plastic

yes my table just started having this problem and yes mine does miss steps

The nuts are nylon, the oil is recommended by Langmuir who designed the machine, my original ran for over a year without any issue and I’ve continued the practice this last year with the Pro. I don’t think 3-in-1 oil is a problem with the Crossfire and I will continue to follow Langmuir’s lead on that. They do allow for grease in the manual but I dislike grease because it seems to pick up dust and metal schmutz more quickly than light machine oil does.