G-code secret to opening

What is the secret? the files I download from Fireshare do not have the g*code. I run them through Winzip which opens the file but there is no g-code. I am new to this and need some help in getting the g-code files to open
thanks, Gary

Are you downloading cut ready file?

Have you followed the steps Langmuir provides?

I’m referring to the software workflow; many times do new members skip steps.

If so, and you truly are downloading an actual NC or TAP file, you need to confirm you have communication with your table.

Need more information as to what’s “preventing” you from doing what you’re trying to do.

There is a possibility you’re opening a DXF or SVG, which is just an image file. That will require converting it into your G code which is all spelled out in the software workflow.

2 Likes

It sounds like as stated above you are not understanding the difference in the file types: JPEG, SVG, DXF, etc are just drawings and cannot be opened by Firecontrol or cut as they have no toolpath; NC, and Tap are G-Code/toolpath files that are mostly cut ready. I say mostly because you may still need to adjust things on your machine to cut successfully.

I noticed there is a simple Air Force emblem on the first page of Fireshare that is an NC file. Try downloading and opening it just to make sure this is your issue.

Software Workflow | Langmuir Systems

2 Likes

@mrlich Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like @Kwikfab , @Phillipw , And @Wsidr1 Already have all the good software work flow questions out there.

On another note.
What do you plan on making with your machine?
Why did you buy it?
Are you new to metal working ?

2 Likes

I am using the download button that the file provides and then openiing it with winzip. Is this not the way to do it or is there another way. I am not new to metal working but very new to using CNC.

The question is are you downloading a cut ready file that will have a extension of .NC or .tap, or is the file a .dxf or svg. They should have the description before you download… they are gcodes.

Cut ready files are ready for the machine in theory. The dxf or SVG file you have to create your own g codes for them.

We can help you get started we just need to know what you have. I understand a new hobby is a undertaking. This hobby is 90 percent computer work.

If you share the link to what you downloaded we can look and see what has to be done.