Fusion blowup - wont load

I wake up today needing to get some work done asap - and fusion wont load - it just spins for about 15 minutes then it says not responding and close

what to do - I have said over and over again that fusion is not prime-time ready and for the price its pittyful

anyway how to recover

Is it possible you have it opened on another pc?I had it do that also when i tried opening it offline.

1 Like

I got it open after a reboot - but computer had been open just an hour when i had the problem with just one browser open - so that is confusing - but its nagging me that my start up licnces in revoked and to update my license… wtf? all my designs i worked on gone and wont be accessible… - mean while i have not made dollar one - as i am in development and learning… hmmm… and i dont understand this ( NEW and Inovative product stuff ) … like i have to re-invent the wheel or have some revolutionary tech to need their free start-up… if i had revoluitionary tech… i wouldnt need free stuff… what is wrong with these peopel - extort money from a disabled vet that trying to make a few extra bucks… so not to sit and die infront of the tv.

They’ve asked you for money?

not yet. But I was reading here a post in the forum. that they will deny start up. Right now there is such a learning curve plus product developement… There is no money for this. And i already have spent tons of time invested in there troublesome software.

You dont have to use fusion360. It’s got a lot more than you probably need. What kinds of things do you want to cut? Are you designing things yourself? Maybe inkscape and sheet cam would work? Do you know any other kinds of design software like corel or illustrator?

1 Like

I had an ancient illustrator license on my old win 2000 comp - in the basement somewhere really not looking to revisit that. tried inkscape nothing seemed to work on that. And yes i do all my own designs - but of course its just 2 d stuff.- i will take a look at sheetcam - just spent 5 mos getting used to fusion… really dont have 400 per year for this or more. I have yet to make a dime. I have invested money in software for this hardware, tools, metal , finishing supplies… sure 400 does seem to be so much if you are making money. but i am not… at least yet - i am guessing it would take about 2 years at my current business plan to make back the money on this cnc and cutter and who knows what kind of maintenance that needs. and about another year to make back the money i have spent learning finishing etc… I am 3 years at least before seeing any real money.

I started with Fusion and quickly went to Inkscape (free) and Adobe Illustrator ($19.99 for creative cloud/month) for all my design work. I didn’t like that Fusion was cloud based storage. With Creative Cloud you get an entire suit of Adobe products, but you don’t need any of them if you have Inkscape. There is also Gimp (photoshop alternative (free). There are a host of free and open source software items out there if you look. And yes the learning curve is extensive, this is cutting edge technology. I feel your frustration with your investment. But hang in there. Hopefully the economy will still be booming when you start to turn out product.

Gunny

What are you using to design with now? If you had been used to illustrator then Inkscape should be familiar, why didnt that work? Maybe we are chasing our tail on software when It’s a technical hardware issue.

I actually use PSP to do my design work. I have used photoshop in the past and I like PSP much more - but I am an old jasc user… fomr 20 years now. Corel took them over, I used corel psp several gens… psp xx but it started freezing a lot and was nothing but headaches it wont even open in win10 … so I installed my old jasc psp 6 and its wonderfull I can work about 100x efficiently as I could in corel or photoshop. I do do a few things in inkscape but not much … I could install illustrator. But don’t have a use for it … I do not understand how its a substitute for fusion I need something to gen the gcode. I don’t even really use fusion for my designs ( I have a set of different configuration openings I put in my designs - other than this - I use it just for the manufacturing/gcode output…

Well you could use sheetcam then. It’ll make the g code for you and has no design function at all… and you only have to pay for it once.

2 Likes

My startup license was denied also this year. You can switch to a personal license and it’s still free and you still have access to all your files. What you lose is the capability is importing other cad formats. Hope this helps.

dale how do you go from startup to personal? what do you explain on that one - wont they be suspicious? the truth is I have sold a single thing other than something for $35 though I have spent about 2500 on equipment, tons of sandpaper, tons of finishing supplies, paints, clears, stains, patinas, powder coats etc… I am still learning the whole process. and Its taken me tons of time to learn their program… I am not technically a student other than self teaching… you would think they would have something for this… I don’t think they needed the 100k revenue thing… - that was uncessary… if I could make 30k in sales than 500 would make sense… but even at 10k with all cost of other supplies - 5-10% of gross is way out of line… but at anything above 50k you can affored 500. I think if you receive no benefit yet - you should not have to pay.

Hey James,

Someone from Autodesk actually called me to inform me that my startup license would not be approved. After they listened to my rant similar to yours, they said I just needed to use a personal license instead of the startup, or buy the startup. So, when I opened Fusion360, I saw the notification at the top saying I need to update my license and I just followed the instructions. I now have the personal license and still have all my files.

I was very upfront to the guy from Autodesk and told him exactly what I used it for. I restore vintage airstream trailers and vintage gm trucks. I use it to design custom parts I might need. For the projects, along with stuff I make for a couple fairs/swap meets. He still told me I cold use the personal file for this.

According the guy I spoke with, their startup license is only being approved for those who develop a specific unique products. Signs don’t seem to be unique enough.

I am a vet myself. My business is a side business/hobby and bring in less than 25k/year with it.

Good luck.

Dale

"You’ve replied 3 times to @nordicack in this particular topic!

A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives. Can you get anybody else involved?

heh… this bugs me …

I think Autodesk is a profit-seeking organization, Just set up a hobby license and be happy with whatever they make you do. this is not a company known for warm fuzzy handling of their customers so I’m happy with the situation of having a legal means to use this software. As has been pointed out, there all alternatives if you don’t want to jump through their hoops or pay for what you take

I agree, they need a hobby small crafter license. like 99 or 149 a year… that is doable. Someone who likes to dabble or make a few extra dollars while being creative… the truth is - this really should be considered personal… maybe I will follow what dale did and just go to the personal.

1 Like

I was just looking at some free cad programs. There are plenty that will do what I need fusion for. I do most of my designs in PSP then I convert them to vectors - move to fusion add some openings. Now I will just move to freecad then sheetcam - just one more step… I really don’t think I will sweat this much… They are not going to hold me hostage.

1 Like

For just 2d graphics everything from Inkscape/Corel/PsP/Illustrator is miles ahead of fusion anyway. If you need solid modeling then look at CAD packages

1 Like