Fusion 360 under "simulate with machine" shows a rotary tool instead of a plasma cutter

like it says, when i finish with the “Cut 2d profile” setup- where i have chosen plasma cutter as my cutting tool of choice (and even set a plasma cutter in the first “setup” screen), when i run the simulation it shows arrow directions around the cutter head indicating a rotary tool to do the cutout. i even went back to much earlier setups/things i have cut out and those also show a rotary tool now, but before they would definately show a plasma cutter.
should i be concerned about this? will it affect my cuts and quality?

Post your f3d file we can take a look at the settings you have.

Sometimes the simulation looks odd depending on what plane the tool is cutting at. Quite a few combinations of settings to give you different appearances too, maybe it’s one of those

2 Likes

I suspect you have “Show Spindle” selected under View in the Simulation tab. I just enabled it in a known good file, and it does show spindle rotation, even though the tool is a plasma. It doesn’t appear to effect anything other than the simulation.

3 Likes

yep, it was selected. i turned it off and now at least the arrows are gone. the “shadow” of the tool head is still the rotary cutter, but i just ran a dozen cuts just now with the same file and it cut just fine. I’d like to know (i’m sure ill figure it out someday) what i changed to make this happen. seems only to impact the “simulate with machine” for now… and it only seems to have affected a few files. many of my other ones show the correct “plasma cutter” head, and all the files have the same “plasma cutter” selected under Tools.

it is going to be

Or you have your tool nozzle diameter set to 1" set it to the same as the kerf width if it is and try again .

1 Like