Fusion 360 settings

The torch should be easily cutting through 16 or 14 ga. metal at 45 amps, so there is either a torch height issue or a plasma cutter power issue.

I just noticed that you said you were putting in a nominal voltage of 100 for the THC. Did you ever go back to smart voltage?

The nominal voltage could explain why your torch is lifting after the pierce. With nominal voltage set, the THC is only looking to match that voltage and it will raise or lower the torch to reach that voltage.

For example: If the actual voltage at .06" is 93 volts and nominal is set at 100, the THC will raise the torch until the voltage gets to 100. That may not be a lot higher, but if the actual voltage at .06" is 86 volts, then raising it to get to 100 volts may make it too high to cut through.

2 Likes

Hello all to this crazy post of mine.
I believe I have solved the problem by processing all of your inputs into my head and spitting out an answer.

I used the info in this post to actually do a small study with my machine to see if my torch height was correct. The beauty of this I did not have to run test lines and stop the torch mid way. I used his idea on creating the code snippet to measure the torch height and basically “walked” the torch to the correct height for the cut. Torch height initially was well over .100 so indeed this was why i was having so many issues. 1st cut after dialing height in was 100 times better, but now a couple of minor (I hope) problems have cropped up that I will work on next.
The solution was in the Fusion 360 IHS settings as transposed to the actual GCode for cutting. It does not appear to be a linear relationship and I really have not studied how that part works.

Anyway pics included. Comment if ya like and much appreciated on keeping me away self destruction.

Larry

3 Likes

What is your air pressure at torch? Alot of dross yet, can be low air pressure, bad consumables or to slow of torch speed.