Fusion 360 question I'm not sure what to ask - attempted explanation inside

Good evening,

I have a question about how to make the G code file in fusion to cut a part that’s not a complete part in the designing feature. Hopefully this pic uploads showing what i need to cut out. It’s open across the bottom of the part. I have an engine plate that’s pre cut out for a SBC that i need to cut around the outer 2 sides and across the top but don’t know how to make it 1 solid line and save it in G code to cut it.

Also, what would this process be called?

Thanks

Not sure what your asking sorry

I think what you are asking is that you want to cut and “open contour”. It really is pretty easy:
You go into manufacturing, do the setup and tell it you are using the “sketch”, and then when the tool path, same thing but make sure you pick “center compensation” and no lead-in, no lead-out.

I will edit this to show in images or send you to another post where I show it.

Here is the set up:

Now when I go to the toolpath: All the magic happens on the second and fourth tab:

To complete the sketch selection, you will need to find the sketch in the browser tree and click on it. You can click on the line separate but picking the sketch is very easy and complete.

Now moving to the fourth tab:

On the fifth tab: NO lead-in, No lead-out and no pierce clearance.

5 Likes

Thanks Jim, one other question. When I’m in the manufacture process and have to pick the paths for it to follow is there a way to make it all one path. Right now i have to select a bunch of “pieces” that make up the line i want it to follow. Is there a way to get it to see only one complete line to follow? I tried to extrude but it wouldn’t give me that option.

1 Like

“open contour” sounds like what it would be called.

This is the cut i’m trying to make.

1 Like

That is why I was saying “if you can pick the entire sketch” Fusion will do a pretty good job of picking each segment in succession. You can pick them manually, but it is very, very tedious. You have to zoom up on it and try not to miss any tiny segment. You can press “CTRL” and left click and delete a segment without starting over. I think that is the command…but not entirely sure.

Another thing to make sure is that all of the segments of a group making up a single line have the arrows all pointing the same direction or flow. Otherwise, during the CAM process, Fusion will think you want it cut in separate sections. For those that have the arrow reversing the direction, hover over the red arrow and when it changes from red to pink, click on it. That will change the direction. If all the arrows line up right, even if they are picked in different orders, Fusion will CAM it the right way and connect them all.

Yes. Understood. The best thing you can do to try to minimize your selections is to use the spline tool for large sections.

But even that gets kind of squirrel-y when you want a perfectly flat section or a perfectly, symmetrical curved area. When you finish a spline, that entire section is then one click for selection in the tool path.

2 Likes

Try double clicking on any of the lines and it should group them as one line.

6 Likes

Thanks Don. I must admit that I rarely do the single line selection and I have never tried that. Great tip!

2 Likes

Hello Guys, I too am having the same problem, Aksell has been looking at my F3 file trying to figure out what I have done to make my sketches all segments, i have zoomed way in to be sure there are no breaks in the lines, I have made three designs that just won’t get past making a program all around the part??
I tried double clicking on the periphery, no change?
Thanks for the help

Post your f3d here

Someone would be happy to look at it. Sometimes, I cannot even see why Fusion is thinking the segments are not selected. Some common issues:

1. There is another segment right on top of the line.
  2. Sometimes, just deleting a line and redrawing it will bring the whole drawing to life.
  3. Sometimes it is a line that extends ever so slightly past the point. That can be at an angle but it can also happen on a straight section.
  4. I was working on one image and there appeared to be multiple ‘problem’ areas. For whatever reason, I just clicked on a line and deleted it and the entire image came to life. That was likely due to the image being mirrored so the other side of the entire image had the flaw repeated.
2 Likes

66tunnel1 v2 v1 v1.f3d (3.0 MB)
hopefully this worked, I am not real good at computers, Thank you!

Thank you, I will try deleting lines and redraw.

I am sorry, I can’t respond well right now. My computer is not available. Later, next week I can help.

1 Like

I’ll live stream a walkthrough on how in find your broken sketch line.

Autodesk Fusion’s Divide and Conquer Method is very effective at finding Broken Sketch lines.

File from video

66tunnel1 v2 v1 v1 tin mod v1.f3d (3.0 MB)

3 Likes

Wow!, TinWhisperer You are awesome! I can tell you are very comfortable working on computers. What you just did for me is like a miracle, because I am so out of my comfort zone. Thank you very much!

5 Likes