Fusion 360 changing their license terms

My startup license just expired and I was denied renewal because they are changing their license terms. Just got off the phone with them and they said they are pushing any small scale CNC/3d printing etc businesses and hobby businesses to their paid commercial license. The free startup license will only be approved for startups bringing new products to market.

I understand it, they gotta make money, and really the commercial license is reasonably priced for the functionality, but I think I am going to shop around. Sheetcam sounds much more affordable and contains all the functionality you need to run a Crossfire, and I think its a one time fee, not annual, right?

Any one else experience this yet?

Sheetcam price is one time and, for a hobbyist (ie, youā€™re not making a lot of money from this tool), you can have it installed on up to two computers.

Inkscape is a good and simple 2D artwork program that I use for most of my stuff. For 3D drawing, Iā€™ve been using Sketchup Pro for years. I keep trying all these other low cost/free 3D CAD programs, 123Design, QCad, etc, but find them way too complicated for the kinds of things I do. In either case, Plasma is a 2D platform (even if you do have Z Height adjustment), so anything that will produce a 2D DXF or SVG file will work as input to SheetCam and, while Iā€™m new at using it, Iā€™m not new with CAM and this is the easiest tool Iā€™ve ever found. Some people have talked about Soild Edge for CAD, but I havenā€™t tried and happy with what I have.

2 Likes

I think fusion people look at your saved projects to see if your making lots of good things. They look at mine they would laugh and feel sorry for me. Maybe thats why I got it renewed so easy.

1 Like

Same here. Nothing but a home gamer hereā€¦

If I create and save a drawing in F360. Iā€™ll then go and export out of there as a .STEP fileā€¦ Seems to go faster than exporting locally as a .DXFā€¦(no ā€œcloud translationā€)

I take the .STEP file and open it in Free CAD and then save as .DXFā€¦ I may be shooting myself in the foot further down the road by doing it this way but, seems to work well for nowā€¦ Most of my stuff is one-offā€™s anywaysā€¦

I feel like if the Fusion thing ever goes south on me, Iā€™d be in OK shapeā€¦

1 Like

Only time I save to the cloud is if I want to export as a dxf and thatā€™s rare.

You do not need to export DXF filesā€¦ Create a sketch, right click on sketch, save as DXF.

If you make less than $1000 a year using fusion, you can still use the free personal license. When they announced the change last fall, I decided to pony up and pay for Fusion. I still do not use it to make money, but I might try selling parts at some point. And they were offering it for $310, So I decided to lock it in at that price.

As for vector work, I hate inkscapeā€¦ I feel the program is to busy and cluttered. I use Illustrator at work, and wanted something similar to use at home. I finally found a program that is clean and easy to use, and has most of the functionality of Illustrator. Affinity design, its a one time purchase of $50.

3 Likes

For fusion to convert to a dxf it must be saved in the cloud firstā€¦so how ever your saving to dxf itā€™s doing it in the cloud.

I loaded a step file I had received from a mfr and selected the ā€˜bodyā€™ and tried to ā€˜Save asā€™ to save as a dxf, but ā€˜Save asā€™ was greyed out on my version (2.0.6670, Personal).

Is there a way to enable this, other than paying for Fusion360?

You can not save bodys as DXF files, you need to create a sketch and project the body. Then you can save the sketch as a DXF. Iā€™ll make a video showing this process tonight if I remember.

1 Like

That would be great! Thanks!
BTW, on your ā€˜instigationā€™, Iā€™ve been messing with Affinity. Havenā€™t tried Designer yet because Iā€™ve been distracted by Photo and, so far, it looks good! Wish I knew how to use this a week ago! Oh well, as I always say, ā€œLive and burn!ā€

Only big missing item from AD is that it doesnā€™t have a ā€œtraceā€ feature so you canā€™t have it draw an outline of something you want to cut out from its picture or drawing. Inkscape, AI and CorelDraw all can do that so if youā€™re not an artist you can have the machine draw some stuff for you :slight_smile:

Well, Iā€™m intrigued by Affiinity Photo (after doing all kinds of gymnastics to squeeze a silhouette out of a high contrast photo using inkscape), but I have yet to find any tutorial on using Affinity Designer for mechanical drawing. Bezier curves, no problem, gradient lighting or coloring, no sweat, designing a manifold header - nada.

Im sure the flood of Fusion users over the last year probably drew there attention to us Crossfire users. They see an oprotunity to make some $$$. Cant wait to get the FireCam software from LS that they are in the process of designing.

Use a 2D CAD program for that. I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but Solid Edge 2D is free and is nice easy to use stable 2D CAD program.

Ok the video went a bit long at 10 minutes, but I decided to just show my entire work flow for a part like this. If I were to make this part, I would make some adjustments to the tabs, making them look more like what Certiflat does to allow space for the welds. And there is no audio, as I do not have a good mic setup, and I feel strange talking to my self.

I downloaded a certiflat welding square from grabcad as a IGS file. It imported as a bunch of unstitched surfaces. So the first thing I had to do was enter the surface workspace and stitch it back together into a solid. Then I enabled the design history. Next I wanted to split this model into 4 bodies. I was able to create the first split with a sketch line. But the second one would not split with a sketch line for some reason. So I just extruded the sketch line into a surface, and used the surface to create the split. I did the same for the final split.

Once I had all 4 bodies, I wanted to add locating tabs. I started by creating a sketch on one of the narrow pieces, and projected the face of all 3 bodies on that plane. I turned off the visibility of the bodies, to prevent anything from snapping to them. Then I turned the projected geometry to construction, as I only wanted to use them as references. Next I sketched 4 rectangles, and made them all equal length. Dimensionned everything, and added a few more constraints.

I turned on the visibility only for the body I wanted to add these tabs to. Then I used the extrude tool and selected all 4 tabs in the sketch. For the distance I used the ā€œto objectā€ option and selected the second face. Make sure that the extrude tool is joining, and not creating a new body or cutting. Then repeat the same steps on the second inside part.

With the male tabs on both bodies, I used the combine tool to create the matching notches in the side plates. Just make sure you check the box to keep tools, and you set the operation to cutting. After that I used the press/pull command to offset the female cuts slightly, to ensure the tabs will have some breathing room for assembly.

Last step before creating the DXF is to make a flat pattern. I converted all 4 bodies into components, so I could use the joint tool to arrange them. This also helps place them all on the xy plane.

To create the DXF, I simply created a sketch on the face of one of the parts. I then used the project tool and set it to bodies. Clicked on all 4 bodies and then pressed ok. Then right click on the sketch, in select save DXF.

2 Likes

Autotrace is one big feature missing from Affinity Designā€¦ If I really need to autotrace something I will use inkscape. I have also used lightburn (Laser cutter software) to trace images. Another tool I would like to see, is something like illustrators shape builder tool.

1 Like

Sounds great Mike, but the link only brings me to the home page for the Autodesk Knowledge contributions. I tried to search, but wasnā€™t sure what search terms to use.

The forum doesnā€™t seem to like the shortent links that autodesk screencast createsā€¦ I edited my post to use the full link.

Very good, Mike! Thanks a lot! Obviously you know how to run these tools! :smiley:
I was able to watch the full screen version once I was able to grab the URL from the link you embedded above.
I donā€™t know if the link will produce here, but Iā€™ll try:
ā€œhttps://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/Timeline/2408bb5c-ef24-4a32-b29e-e475a4fb213fā€