Frame job in FireControl?

I have some experience with the LightBurn software with my laser machines. Lightburn has a feature where you can move the cutter rapidly around the perimeter of the job before cutting it. They call it “framing” the job. It really helps to be able to quickly adjust and center your material. It’s different than the Dry Run switch in that it only quickly traces the outside perimeter and not the whole job. Is there a way to do something similar with Firecontrol?

Could pic outer loop in firecontrol visualizer, click run from here. Then do a dry run,

That’s a pretty good idea. Can you speed up the dry run?

You can just jog the torch around the design with the X/Y arrows at 300ipm. Once you set your zero, you can see the torch location in the visualizer. I do it all the time to make sure the design will fit and adjust my zero point to move it whatever direction it needs to go.

2 Likes

This is what I do. I identify the points at the furthest extent of each side of the design and check clearance by jogging to that point. I use that data to re-center and zero the program origin then run.

This process works for me and seems it would be faster than running the entire outer loop. I can however see some instances where it would be useful such as trying to fit a nest into an odd shaped remnant.

I recently cut a nest of objects out of a remnant. I used my same process it still worked fine but I had to check a few more locations due to one of the objects trailing a non orthogonal edge of the remnant.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been manually jogging too but I really miss just clicking the “Frame” button in LightBurn and just watching what it does.

1 Like

So choose just the outline loop in the g code under the visualizer, and run from that loop.

Then use the +1 or +10 feed rate buttons to get to 300ipm

Run dry run, it’ll run at whatever you set your feed rate in fire control

1 Like