First cut today! Ya baby!

Thanks to member jamesdhatch we got my Crossfire up and running today!
Our machine was delivered this week and a few fays later it is up and running like a champ!

It is very exciting watching it make the first cuts, we did not cut any corners, took our time to assemble it correctly with the videos.

Every nut and bolt was in the package, every hardware bag was exactly as it should have been.
The machine is more rugged and well built then I expected from watching the videos.
I would highly recommend this machine to others,.
One of our first cuts:

https://youtu.be/uC-4mRRGtX4

2 Likes

Well after all, WE dont call him DA MAN for nothing…

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: We did shortcut the first cuts - didn’t fill the water table. But they were small squares just to make sure everything was working from start to finish.

Thanks to @Joe243672 who posted the Miller wiring info. We didn’t have a volt/ohmmeter & faced a block of a half dozen white wires. A quick check of the forum & we found the wire pair we needed. :+1:

1 Like

I did some playing today, tried a few more things, it is cool that I can do this now without a babysitter walking me through it.
Thanks again James!

That lead screw keeps loosening up, every run -have to tighten it, I did loctite it and it still kept coming loose. I picked up some fresh loctite tonight, the stuff I had has been through a few freeze cycles.

1 Like

Awesome job! Don’t be afraid to really crank down on those set screws. I’ve never used any loctite on any of the machines we have built and used here and they never come loose. I crank them down.

1 Like

OK man, I have been cranking them to the point where it felt like the wrench is going to snap, it is just one particular set screw that is giving us problems.
Thanks for the reply, it means a lot to me that you are here to help.

I think on mine I got the setscrew in the groove in the lead screw so it’s gripping in virtually 360 degrees vs just pressing on a thread. Just turn the lead screw with a tiny screwdriver in the set screw hole - when it drops you’ll know you’re over a groove & not resting on a thread. Then crank it down.

I ground flats on my leadscrews where they go into the couplers. Didn’t like trying to get them perfectly into a groove… Haven’t had a problem with them yet, and even if they did come loose, the new geometry will only cause slight movement, not enough to make it skip…