First cut test and a bit lost

Finally got everything assembled and hooked up. Installed 220 power as well. However this test was on thinner 16g using 120v on the Everlast 52i. Plugged into 120v it seems has a max amp of 25. Got the air pressure dialed in at about 55-60.

I loaded my gcode, zeroed everything, had the torch start in the lower left corner per the cutter setttings. I put the Z axis a bit above the steel, like a few mm from the torch guide. Using .06 mm tip. It cut the first letter then as it moved across, I think the metal heated up and bent up, throwing the tip into the sheet. Everything stopped. Tried another piece of steel, thicker this time, it didn’t appear the torch dived into the metal, so it must have been the metal bending.

Observations

Using only 120 at 25 amps, I realized the cut speed was way too fast. I reduced it to 30% in firecontrol override, that seemed to work well as most of the cuts weren’t even all the through the sheet. DO I NEED TO LOWER THE IPM rate in the CAD drawing to solve for this?

The torch kept going out then throwing the reset error, It wasn’t a very clean piece of metal which could have caused it. QUESTION, does the THC auto adjust while it’s cutting or where you set the Z axis at zero, does it stay at this height? I’m lost on how the THC works. How does the machine know the distance of the tip to the sheet? I’m I missing a calibration?

I also installed 220v at my service and now just waiting for the extension cord to arrive. Does the everlast52i cap out at 25amps with 120v ? (It’s a dual voltage machine). The dial would not go beyond 25a

Is it wise to clamp down the thinner metal sheets so it doesn’t warp?

Any comments or suggestions on these would be welcomed! Thanks!

Ok. I number of answers for you…

1. Yes, you will want to set your Fusion cut parameters to match your amperage / cut speed. For example - I have 45 amp tools in Fusion set at X ipm. I have 30 amp tools set at Y. This is based on previous cuts and seeing what works at different speeds.
  2. I suspect your air is loo low. 55-60 seems low. I would go for 70 - 75 psi.
  3. Stay on 220V. More Amperage equals more speed (ipm) which equals less warpage.

As far as THC goes, on the Langmuir systems controllers, THC takes an average voltage from the first .25" of cut, then tries to sustain that target voltage, It may not be correct, but usually is close. This can be adjusted by changing your pierce delay, or by entering direct voltage settings into THC.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thanks! In the Z axis, does that also zero in? Where do I set the z axis before cutting? If I set it at the right height, (a few mm above the steel) does the z axis stay at this height and adjust slightly based on that average of the voltage you were saying? So there’s nothing that I need to do in setting up the z axis before a cut or in the CAD drawing? This is what I’m not understanding.

My best reply would be to set your pierce height (initial Z height) to your cutter’s specs. I use a RazorCut45 and always have pierce at .15". Based on my delay, THC will hold a common cut height after pierce. If my pierce is too long, THC holds too low for cut height. Likewise, if , if my pierce is too short, THC holds a taller value.

You state a few mm above the steel. I suspect you need to be 3-4 mm above the steel at pierce, then drop to 1.5mm for cut height. (Speculation - I don’t use mm.)
Keep in mind, you’re telling the system two heights. Pierce Height and Cut Height. After Pierce, Fire Control will try to lower to your cut height. If your pierce is too long, THC will be affectred and provide an incorrect cut height.

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks. I didn’t understand that pierce height was Z axis height. I can’t recall but there’s a cutting height setting when you prepare the drawing ? I was stating mm cuz I had no idea what defined that height!! lol

I’ll draw some newer, more simplified drawings with various settings.

Yes, in Fusion you will set cut height in the post processor window.

I believe that if you have metric established, keep using metric measurements. If your G-code has a G21 at the beginning, it’s metric. If G20, it’s imperial.

If lost, upload your G-code and we can take a look.

2 Likes

You can have the Z axis anywhere above the metal when starting your cut. The retract distance between cuts is 1". I recommended being at least 1/2" above the metal before starting the cut.

The IHS system probes the torch down until it touches the metal and opens the IHS switch. Then it goes back up until the switch opens. It sets that position as the Z zero. That’s an over simplified explanation, but I’m just trying to help you understand that it doesn’t matter where the Z axis is when you start a program.

All of this assumes that you have set a pierce height and cut height in your CAM setup.

4 Likes

Perfect! That explains it! Thanks again

1 Like