FireControl Warning Mid-Design Cut

I have been cutting signs and other projects for a long time now. The other day I started cutting a sign out for a customer and about half way thru it stopped cutting. I’m using a Hypertherm 30xp and have had no issues before. The consumables warning light came on, so I checked to make sure everything was good. Less than five minutes use on the current consumables. Haven’t been using the THC before, so I decided to hook that up. Still having the same issue. Now a warning comes up,

Any suggestions?

Still having issues with consumables. Will replace them and cut a few smaller signs and see what happens.

How long is your pierce delay? Possible air pressure issues?

2 Likes

I would start with the advise the Warning gives! check your pierce delay

1 Like

I have a “friend” that has gotten this error a few times. Most of the time he forgot to attach the work clamp… or had it hooked to a slat. Another time he left the swirl ring out of the stack. If you have a good connection with your work clamp try lengthening your pierce delay as @Knick said…. Otherwise it’s probably an issue with your arc transferring after the pilot arc.

Are you using a hand torch? Can you cut manually?

1 Like

I’ve never messed with the pierce delay. Its been the same ever since I’ve been running my table, with no issues. The only thing I can think is that I’m loosing pressure thru the internal water filter in the Hypertherm unit. It leaks air due to the plastic bowl cracked.

@72Pony , I am using the hand torch that came with the HT 30xp. I’ve used it from the beginning and haven’t had an issue with it. I can still cut by hand if I take it off of the LS table.

You also said that you just hooked up the THC correct? It would never know before. Bet the air lose is the culprit. Is it attempting to fire? If so are you seeing a lose of voltage in fire control? Are you cutting fast enough to keep a arc?

@Phillipw , It was cutting good for about three years without the THC. Until the other day when the 16g sheetmetal warped and caused the torch to run into the metal. This is when I decided it was time to hook up the THC. Had been cutting good previous to this issue. I think I’m cutting 16g at about 80fps. So, it was cutting and about half way thru the cut that warning popped up. Tried to restart where it lost the arc at, it would attempt to fire, and the warning would pop up again.

You won’t get that error unless using the THC . Not sure how speed the 30 amp cutter needs. What is the book settings? I cut 14 Ga which is close to 16 GA at 45 amps and 250 ipm. You may be burning a hole causing to loose arc.

I guess I missed the part where you said it happened halfway through a design. Sorry.

Did you loose air pressure? What do you have for an air setup?

Any chance you have a blockage in your air? Maybe ice?

Assuming you mean 80 inches per min… This seems really slow for 16 ga

If you really are cutting 80 feet per second you aren’t using a crossfire table. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Hey Ryan,

Low resistance between the USB shell and the frame of the machine may be causing this issue to occur.

1. If you are using a laptop computer, unplug its charging cable so that it is running only on battery power. Measure Ohms of resistance between the USB shell and the frame of the machine. If you are reading 10K Ohms or more of resistance now (or if you cannot complete this test because you are using a desktop computer instead of a laptop computer), stop at this step and let us know. If you are still reading less than 10k Ohms of resistance, proceed to the next step.

2. Dismount the electronics enclosure from the leg tube of the machine and place it on a non-conductive surface, like a plastic bucket or a wooden stool. Keep all of the cables connected to the electronics enclosure. Measure Ohms of resistance between the USB shell and the frame of the machine again. If you are reading 10K Ohms or more of resistance now, stop at this step and let us know. If you are still reading less than 10k Ohms of resistance, proceed to the next step.

3. While the electronics enclosure is still dismounted from the leg tube and the laptop is still unplugged from its charging cable, disconnect all of the cables from the electronics enclosure: USB cable, power cable, motor cables, THC cable, IHS cable, and THC cable. Be sure to have the CNC electronics enclosure powered off while disconnecting and reconnecting the motor plugs. Since there is now no physical contact between the electronics enclosure and the frame, you should read infinite resistance (∞Ω) or open loop (OL) between the USB shell and the frame of the machine (infinite resistance and open loop are synonymous). Next, plug each cable back into the electronics enclosure one at a time, and let us know which cable connection causes the resistance to read less than 10k Ohms.

1 Like

This is my setup for when I post a design into to “post process” for the G-Code.

I would definitely try a faster speed

Have you been able to measure your cut height? Based on those Fusion settings, I would expect it to be 0.103 Cut and .190 Pierce. (Fusion adds the Springback value + an additional .02")

1 Like

new consumables and new water filter bowl in the Hypertherm Powermax 30xp and it cuts fine again.