FireControl Version (SOLVED - perhaps loose coupler, FireControl?-unknown if that was the issue)

When opening FireControl today, it shows an update to 21.1, and it shows I’m on version 21.1.5. Looking at the downloads page, this shows to be the most current version. The reason I ask is because I cut all day yesterday with zero issues, not sure what version I was on. Today I open FireControl, get the update message, load a file and begin cutting. My cuts aren’t coming out right, like maybe it’s missing steps or something. I checked to make sure table is still square, because the text I was cutting looks to be running uphill, but everything is square. Just trying to figure out if I need to install an older version of FireControl or if something else is going on.

What operating system are you using?

Is it a laptop? Plugged in/battery?

Could be some electrical interference. Check you cables especially the torch, work lead and USB cable from computer to the enclosure.

Clean/lubricate the lead screws…this could certainly change from one cut one day to different cuts the next day.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention Shane!

I can confirm that 21.1.5 is the current/latest version.
I would suggest checking all the items that @ChelanJim mentioned. After that, a fresh install of FireControl might be a good place to begin troubleshooting. The process is as follows:

1. Uninstall FireControl via the Control Panel (or search Add or Remove Programs)
  2. Delete the .FireControl folder, which is typically located at the file path C:\Users[YOUR USERNAME].FireControl.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Reinstall FireControl from Downloads | Langmuir Systems
1 Like

Hey Shane,

@Langmuir-Nick is absolutely right about the fresh install. If the issue persists, try installing an older version of FireControl then updating back to 21.2.5 to stop the update prompt.

As for the cut quality issue, it sounds like it may be an unrelated mechanical issue, and happened to start occurring with the software bugs. What do you mean by your cuts aren’t coming out right? Could you provide a photo of the cut quality you’re getting?

1 Like

I really appreciate your responses. I will do everything suggested and report back. I’m not at the shop now, but I will get a picture and post tomorrow. I was cutting Baddog Metalworks pledge tatered flag file, it has straight line cuts with words between the lines. It would cut some lines higher than others and the lettering appeared to be rising through the cut. Checked all cables after the first fail, then started again and the issues remained. The file is 30in wide and 16in tall, I was cutting the 30in along the X axis. After the second failure, I rotated the file 90 degrees so the 30in would be on the Y axis. I ran again with a sharpie this time, and it appeared to run correctly, all lines were straight. There were a couple of instatances where lines overlapped, not sure what to think about that, I’ve never used the sharpie method before. Tomorrow, I plan to clean everything really well, tighten couplers if needed, delete and reinstall FireControl, then try again with the sharpie in both axes. I’ll report back my findings.

Just wanted to give an update. I deleted and reinstalled Firecontrol, cleaned and lubricated everything well, then started checking the couplers. They appeared to be tight but I could put slight pressure on the gantry while jogging the Y axis and I could see them slipping. Got everything cranked down tight, and ran file with sharpie again and it came out perfect! I then hooked the torch back up, adjusted torch height, and got it cut, came out perfect! I clean the table regularly but for whatever reason, I have negelected the couplers. I have learned my lesson and I will be checking the regulary going forward! I’m going to attach a picture of what it was doing if I can figure out how lol.

1 Like

Glad you got it resolved. Thank you for the update!

I had some slipping with the couplers and did not find it until the coupler actually fell loose. I had wondered why none of my holes were circular. :crazy_face: That was in my first week with the table.

I put a single drop of blue loc-tite on each screw and they have never loosened again. And my couplers are the cheap ones that only have two screws.

2 Likes