Firecontrol not loading

Up until two days ago ive had no issues with firecontrol. I’m using 21.1.5 compatability version. Now when i go to use it it just stalls on the start up screen. It will sit there for however long I let it doing nothing. I end task and try again and again same thing. I’ve uninstalled it restarted tried different versions all the same except for 21.1.4. Only thing about it is that its not compatible with my graphics and nothing shows up on the preview/cutting screen when FC loads. It tells me to try 21.1.4 compatibility version. When I DL that version it does the same as all the others are doing now. Will no go past the start up screen. No idea what to do now. Hope someone can suggest a solution.

Why would 21.1.4 “all except the preview/cut screen” load and all the others not? If went as far back as 20.6 with the same issue.

by any chance did your computer upgrade to windows 11 by any chance?

If you’re using a Windows device, try running FireControl as an Administrator - this can be done by right-clicking it and selecting “Run as Administrator”. This usually requires confirmation via a Windows pop-up.

Hopefully I don’t jinx it, but so far Microsoft has done a good job of ironing out compatibility issues via Windows updates! Our tech support team, myself included, have stopped asking users whether they’re running Windows 10 or 11 but do still consider it a potential factor if other troubleshooting yields no results.

3 Likes

I have been running FireControl on Windows 11 for months without any problems. I do run it as administrator…

1 Like

my laptop hated windows 11 and version 20.6…mind you it was an older version of Firecontrol…

1 Like

No. I can’t run windows 11 on it. I tried to upgrade it said it’s not compatible. It’s a latitude e6540 i5 16gb ram 1tb ssd. It’s running 10 pro.

Thanks guys I’ll try running as admin and let you know the results.

Yeah I tried all versions again running as admin. No change same thing happening.

I cringe as I suggest this, but if you restore windows back to a time when things were working, that might resolve your issues. Perhaps a file got corrupted in a windows update.

Believe me I already thought of that but this pc wasn’t set up with a restore point.

Well, I guess one of your best bets will be if @langmuir-reilly can help you thru this. At least that conversation has started.

I was going to suggest checking if during an uninstall the folder still existed. You might try deleted the folder so it has to be recreated when you re-install. You may also consider installing in a new location. I found that FireControl does allow you to install it in other than the C drive and will start up. I did not connect to the table but at least it allowed that.

@Brock Its possible that there is an issue with your FireControl installation that is persisting between installations. Even when you uninstall it, some data and files are kept in a folder on your computer’s C: drive. The following steps will ensure that any corrupt files or data are removed and that you have a fresh installation of FireControl:

1. Uninstall FireControl using the Control Panel.
  2. Delete the “.FireControl” folder, which should be located at a filepath similar to this:
    C:/Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/.FireControl
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Reinstall FireControl.

Let me know if this works!

3 Likes

@langmuir-reilly Yeah that doesn’t work. I do that each time I uninstall FC. I even go as far as deleting the empty firecontrol folder in the hidden appdata folder.