Finished edges?

I am currently using a Waterjet service to cut out my small runs of motorcycle dirt bike swingarm components. I am using 6061 Aluminum and having these parts cut out by an external service. I was wondering if the Crossfire cutter would do a nice job on 1/8” and 3/16” aluminum cuts that are weld ready. I would like to know if you all think the edge to be welded is anything like waterjet and if the edge that will show will look rough and unfinished? I really don’t want to do any secondary finishing…please comment…thanks!

1 Like

There is absolutely no comparison between the water jet and plasma. Water jet is like fine wine and plasma is PBR of the cutting world. I run both water jet and plasma machines for work. Love the water jet cut and all the fitters love it to but it’s slow as hell. Where the plasma is fast but needs some dress up before fitting.

1 Like

Thanks John…I appreciate the comment!

Plasma will have a little rough edge. I hit my aluminum with a flap wheel and it’s pretty much ready to weld.
When you get into the thicker material on aluminum like 3/16 and up you will notice the edge more than on other parts. With plasma there is pretty much always a post clean up. Can you cut a smooth edge ready to weld? Sure but you will still want to clean it up
Here is a pic of 3/8" aluminum I cut.
On the up side cnc plasma is a LOT faster than water jet so you can probably get parts cut for less money

1 Like

That looks pretty much exactly like the quality we got cutting out the 3/8" aluminum skateboard for the promo video.

Gamblegarage, can you share your settings on the 3/8 aluminum?

1 Like