Finally Making some $$ Firepits

So after almost 3 years of having a table (original and now the pro) Decided to see If I could make a little money making some firepits. Spent around 10 minutes drawing up this simple 20x20 pit. Cut one out posted it online last week and as of right now I’ve built 6. 7 and 8 are also sold but I’m still working on them a 36x36 and 30x30.

Pits are made from 12g hot rolled. Seems sturdy enough for me I don’t see a reason to really go any thicker.

This was my first version. I decided to change up the legs.

7 Likes

Nice work, how much are you getting for them?

Everything I make seems to come in waves like that. I’ll post 4 different things and get zero interest. Then the 5th gets so many orders in a short amount of time I have to take the ad down so I don’t get behind.

I have a file on etsy that has sold over 40 times this year. Everything else is like 1 time lol

3 Likes

20x20’s are going for $150 unpainted $180 painted… So far out of the 6 Ive only had 1 go out unpainted. Im suspecting come September/Oct. the demand for fire pits is going to go up. Right now Im cutting each side out individually and welding it all together… I just ordered myself a nice sheet metal brake. I’m hoping ill be able to just cut everything out then bend it and weld the seems

6 Likes

Very clean and neat design!

2 Likes

Hey thats great.

1 Like

Great job dude, nice project!
A sheet metal brake that will break 12 ga? Must be a hydrolic beast!
Most breaks will break 18 ga, some 16, sounds like you found something special. Elaborate please.

2 Likes

I saw Grizzly makes a nice 48" brake that will do 12G for $2k. But it’s huge, I don’t know where i’d put it. I’m also curious of which one you found @rccrazy30

2 Likes

I went with the KAKA Industrial W-4812… which is exactly the same thing as the grizzly. The only thing thats different is the paint and the KAKA is like $20 cheaper no that that really matters. I just like the paint on the KAKA a little better.

It looks like a beast. It weighs something like 1200lbs thankfully I have a fork lift so it shouldn’t be too hard to put together. @OffRoadDevilDog

2 Likes

This is what I went with. https://www.kakaindustrial.com/products/kaka-industrial-w-4812-48inch-heavy-duty-sheet-metal-pan-box-brake-1

They claim it will bend 12g. Im also cutting some relief into it just to make the bending a little easier.

I would have liked to get a hydraulic press. But I would have had to go with a pretty good size machine to bend pits.

1 Like

Dude, that break is a beast, 1200 lbs, nice machine, reviews are good, should serve you well.
Good find.

Edit:
Is my jealousy showing?

2 Likes

I’ve had some requests for bigger pits. Someone asked for a 48"x48"… when i gave him a price they backed out. So I’ve had 2 other more reasonable requests for a 36x36 and a 30x30. This is the 30x30.

2 Likes

There is another break that will do 12g but its a 40" slightly different design. My thought was Id probably be kicking myself down the road not having that extra 8"

4 Likes

Finally Got around to making a video on how I make these

5 Likes

What do you do for liability and legal mumbo jumbo?

1 Like

Congrates :beer: whatcha getting for the 36 x 36 ones?

2 Likes

He probably says flower planter for sale burn wood in it at your own risk lol.

2 Likes

I’ve only made one 36x36 and that was out of 12ga. I got $350 for that one but honestly next time someone asks for one that big Im going to up it to 3/16. The cost difference isn’t too bad.

2 Likes

yeah… correction its a flower pot lol

2 Likes

How’d your brake work out? Have you used it yet?

2 Likes

It works really well! Its in the video I posted above. Ive made a few fire pits with it. But lately ive been making a ton of hand sanitizer stands. For the bases Im using the brake to make them.

3 Likes