Fighting a bevel on one side (Solved)

if I am not mistaken…and the guys here often point out when I am…
that is a bad sign of water getting into the nozzle…you can see where is arced and then burned a swirl…
that will blow out your tip real fast and can cause the bevel to be amplified.

2 Likes

i think there is a water problem for sure may not be all the problem but.

i know it is hard to spend a lot of coin all at once. when i first started playing with drying air i took a 5 gallon bucket filled with ice water made a small moonshine worm coil then put a bead dryer after with filter.
not the best solution but a start. it will greatly improve your cut and consumable life.

2 Likes

I agree…I built a 5 leg wall mounted copper pipe cooler…took my consumable life and doubled it…
and so much less dross

2 Likes

You don’t need the standoff so I am adding a new swirl ring and up-grading the cup at no extra cost.

When the consumables get there change them all do not use any thing you have now. Mixing consumables is not a good thing.

And try and get more of that moisture out of the air system.

4 Likes

Thank you George, I appreciate it!

Drying equipment is coming. If I am patient I can more acquire it than buy it… so I’m excercising patience.

1 Like

I feel you on that one. Always great to save money. You will save money on consumable as well.

Just be patient for cut quality to improve also.

A transmission cooler, between the compressor and the tank, removes a significant amount of water from the air. Here is a short video of the water that gets removed from the air before it goes into the tank. (I know the fittings are leaking, but its only under pressure when the compressor is running)

2 Likes

Any updates on your issue?

2 Likes

Sorry for the lack of updates. It’s been incredibly nice outside and I’ve been working outside as much as possible! I am extending my existing well water lines to get to the barn and add a couple extra hydrants along the way. 70 degree weather is great for that kind of work.

I received my new consumables, swirl ring, and cup over the weekend thanks to George. Last night I installed all the new components on the torch and made sure material and torch were square. The cuts were pretty, but bevel was still there. It was better though. My usual bad side was around 4 degrees, two sides were 2 degrees, and the last side was almost nothing.

I have feeler gauges on the way from Amazon for height setting, and I am working on acquiring the air dryer equipment.

If it is still not resolved after that, I will send my torch to someone to test. At least then we can determine if the torch is messed up or if I am messed up!

2 Likes

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I know some people tweak and get very square cuts. A plasma is standard about 4 to 6 degrees it may be about as good as it gets.

2 Likes

yup…but depending on the material thickness and the amps of the plasma it can be made less noticeable …

I really don’t know but as the bevel is most always on the same side, could the rail be out of square or some bearings need adjusted.

Only being out 4/6 degrees unless its a precision fit part that is not bad with a hand torch.

2 Likes

I’ve got the table pretty square, I’ve checked a couple times now. On one of my previous trials, when rotating the torch 90 deg in the holder, the bad bevel followed, which makes me think it was mostly torch related.

If I can stay 4 deg or below consistently I will be pretty happy I think. Hopefully with better dry air, I will see some additional improvement.

I’m also considering taking the casters off the table and using some leveling feet. It would make life easier when checking everything for level/square.

3 Likes

A machine torch should also help.

2 Likes

Take a look at this thread below…it might solve your issue of wantinh wheels and wanting level…I have them they are pretty dam good…

3 Likes

How did you come out on this? Did you get it resolved? Figure out what fixed it?
I am trying to find out so I can mark some of these old posts solved.

What consumables are you running?

I would consider it resolved. Changing the cup, new swirl ring, and squaring the material to the torch has given me acceptable results. The bevel is inconsistent on each side but I’m no more than 4 degrees of bevel typically.

I’ve added a membrane dryer and have a refrigerated dryer to be installed. I plan to purchase a machine torch in the near future as well.

Tecmo consumables are from George, typically 1.0 50 amp tips, for IPT-60 torch

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know I am going to mark this as Solved.

1 Like