Feed rate inconsistent while cutting

I tried to cut my first part, the infinity from file share. What I observed was the feed rate for the entire file is set at 100ipm, but while cutting the tighter details, the units per minute display dropped below 10ipm, torch remaining solid on. Once the straighter sections were reached, the unit per min increased to 99ipm. The simulation in fusion was consistent. Have I missed a setting somewhere? Thanks for your help!

That would be acceleration and deceleration you are seeing. When running intricate designs this will happen no matter what you do. Straight runs is where you will see your full speed 100 ipm

Thanks for the reply! I’m still concerned because the torch is set up for 100ipm, and when only moving at around 10ipm, the low speed dross and other effects are compounded.

It’s likely that the drawing needs to be cleaned up to reduced the number of nodes. When I do art pieces, I try to limit the entire thing to arcs and straight lines as much as possible. Splines cut very slow because they can be thousands of lines of code long.

1 Like

Hello Daniel, You nailed this one - the infinity file was originally over 22,700 lines. After smoothing, the file was under 500 lines. I used resolution of .0007 and smoothing .001. Using 16ga steel at 110ipm Hypertherm Powermax 30XP, the program flew by quick and effortlessly. I probably could even speed it up a bit more! My first successful cut - I’m happy!