Feed Optimization!

Can someone explain the feed optimization feature to me ? When, why, and how ? I am doing a pretty detailed design out of 14 gauge. i cut thin material pretty fast. I would like to slow everything way down in corners. And i am just looking for some advice on how to set up this feature. Any help is appreciated!

Feed optimization slows the speed for tight turns and curves so the torch fire has time to catch up to the torch and thus have less bevel. You can set what will trigger the optimization. And remember, if you are using THC, it shuts off during times when the torch speed falls below something like 85% of your cut speed.

You will likely see more underside dross in those slow areas. If the remaining metal is very thin, you may opt for the bevel rather than the dross. It just depends the needs you have. If I am making a bracket…always use optimization. If I am doing art, I don’t do much of that…but if I did, I would probably not use the optimization.

Others will probably have a different take on this.

3 Likes

wouldnt it be a good idea to use it on long straight runs of thin material with corners at each end. like slots?

1 Like

Yes. I would. Another thing you can experiment with is to decrease your amperage and speed and see if that yields some desired results. I was cutting 16 gauge at 45 amps and then, based on something @Cletus put, he had reduced his amperage and speed and got a very nice cut.

That was one of the rare times I was doing some artsy thing and I kept burning up lots of the small detail.

If you want good slots, I think you will like what the feed optimization will do.