Everlast Power Plasma 50S Torch issue

I am now on my second torch from Everlast. The first was the hand torch that came with the plasma, and now my machine torch has failed. What happens is when I first get the torch the electrodes will thread in just fine. Over time the electrodes become harder and harder to unthread until they won’t come out at all without really wrenching hard on the electrodes. When this happens it basically strips the threads in the head of the torch and it will no longer accept another electrode.

So my question is this, has anyone else had this issue, or am I doing something wrong? I have tried the Everlast consumables, Amazon consumables, consumables from people on this forum and the issue keeps happening. It’s really frustrating because it cripples my ability to cut for weeks at a time while I wait for a new torch to be delivered.

Your help is greatly appreciated

There are 3 issues that cause this.

Electrode to lose
Electrode to tight
Heat

You don’t need a complete new torch, just a new torch head.

1 Like

I had an issue similar to this when i first got my everlast 50s a couple years ago. Basically what would happen to mine is overtime the high frequency would work the electrode loose out of the torch and make it arc in the threads and start fusing them to the torch itself. My solution was always make sure the electrode is slightly snug with the included wrench, coat the threads with a small amount of mig gun anti spatter and use a long post flow. I have mine set to 15 seconds. Has worked great ever since.

To me it sounds you issue is more heat related and over time is causing the threads to warp in the torch head. I would try upping your post flow a bit and see if that helps

2 Likes

Thanks for the information guys. I have noticed that the electrodes will become loose over time.

@mechanic416 you mentioned that the issue could be caused by the electrode being too loose of too tight. I usually just hand tighten the electrodes into the torch. Is that not the best way to do it, and how do you know if it is just right? Also I plan to order replacement heads and fix these torches so I have spares.

@Arcworxs_LLC I will try bumping the post flow up. Currently I only have it set on about 7 seconds.

Tighten the electrode by hand then give it a little more with the supplied wrench to keep it from coming lose.

Post flow should be about 20 seconds up to 1/4" after that it should be upped to 30 seconds or more depending on how much cutting your doing. Heat kills consumables and its not good for the torch ether.

3 Likes

Thank you guys for the information and advice!