Everlast 102i torch cap tightening blowback issue

when I tighten my cap to the torch it takes up all of the spring action of the plunger is this normal? becuase it doesnt seem like it is to me as it eliminates the function. Ive been searching every where to find out. Ive tried tightening the cap to allow the plunger full travel with enough tension so the tip doesnt move around and its sitting maybe an 1/8" off the edge of the torch body. my question is that when the cap is tightened all the way to the torch body is my tip suppose still have spring action and move up and down when pressed ? I didnt get good cuts when i left the cap loose for spring action and were very erratic. I have a ptm100 102i setup. please help

1 Like

It should be hand tight just don’t torque it.

The electrode moves inside the torch body. The tip is not supposed move when the torch is assembled.

This is all built into the design of the torch (blow back pilot arc) so the cup should always be snugged up.

The swirl ring is the most important part that determines the clearances between the cutting tip and the torch head.

The swirl ring is over looked by a lot of people as most really have no idea what it really does.

So how important is the swirl ring? Do you ever replace it? Does it wear out? Does it affect the cuts? Lets see if this can help answer some or all of these questions.

The swirl ring does 5 thing when installed.

#1 Its a spacer between the torch head and the cutting tip

#2 Its a air seal between the torch head and the cutting tip

#3 Its an insulator between the torch head and the cutting tip

#4 It has air holes to swirl the air around the electrode to keep it cool (note: the hafnium in the end of the electrode becomes 3500 to 4000 degrees when cutting)

#5 it has air holes to swirl the air that comes out of your cutting tip to help keep a plasma flame uniform. ( Note: over air pressure will deform the flame )

YES the swirl ring is very important and should not be over looked. It wears out the same as other consumables and should be replaced if damaged in any way. It should be looked at every time you change the electrode and/or the cutting tip. Make sure the air holes are not plugged, deformed
and the swirl ring is not discolored. Replace the swirl ring if any thing look different then a new one or you start having cutting issues.

Note: The PT/IPT and PTM 100 torch has two different swirl rings. One for 70 amps and down an one for 80 amps and up. Make sure you are using the righe one.

5 Likes

Fantastic explanation!!

Thanks George!

Yes thanks for the great information . I have another question about the stainless tube that sits in between the electrode . Is it suppose to have an optimal stick out? Hard to tell how far its suppose to go in as it feels like its binding when i push it in.

That is a air tube. The electrode is hollow it is there to cool the electrode. Never take it out only to replace it if it gets damaged.

Here is a picture of a PTM 80 torch head with the air tube installed. It is the same basic thing as the 100 torch.

2 Likes

One thing to keep in mind with Everlast torches…I am not sure what other torches are like…but you need to run post flow for at least 30 seconds after every cut…
I keep 1 spare torch head assembly on hand…I have had a few warp on me over the years…

1 Like

I did take the tube out prev it was super tough to take out and binding . When i went to put it back in i wasnt sure how far it should go. Hard to tell when it felt like it was to tight and binding going in. Being that its an air tube to cooloff the electride doesnt seem like it would matter much.

Yeah thx i do run postflow at max

uhhhmmmm…the air tube going to the torch head that connects to the plasma is not only for cooling…it is for the full plasma…without compressed air…no plasma flame…

and Post Dlow is very important on the Everlast units…they should run at least 30 seconds after a cut…or you will warp the electrode plunger…

The air tube is only for keeping the electrode cool. It will cut even if you take it out. The only thing is you will use up your electrode faster as it will get super hot and may melt the end off the electrode. This can also cause other damage as well to the swirl ring and cutting tip.

Yeah i run postflow at max . And the comment was about the stickout of the airtube when reinstalling wouldnt matter much