Etsy Dog Sculpture questions

Hello all
I just got my Pro up and running this weekend, after doing some cuts I drew up and downloaded from sharefile I am going all in. I downloaded a dog sculpture from Etsy and things are not easy. I first tried the DXF file, that was giving me a fit so now I am on to the SVG file. Has anyone cut one of these out? I already have started putting notches where bends go and deleting the bend lines. Fusion 360 is moving very slow with this file. Is there a way to cut the puzzle in half or quarters? The pieces will use almost a full 4x8 sheet. Any suggestions? On the guys you tube page he cuts them out by hand. BorisKlimovs is the guy that has the page.

If there are allot of components in a single sketch it can slow fusion down allot. Also, if there are excessive nodes it can slow it down allot. What type of computer are you using? Can you post your F3d file and I can look at it.

3 Likes

HP intel CORE i3
Rot v1.f3d (2.1 MB)

What kind of megahertz is your i3 running at?

The sketch environment in fusion 360 is very dependent on high single core speed. Ideally you’ll be running three megahertz or higher.

Its a 3 GHz I am working through the lag. I am looking for any tricks on sectioning off the 135 pieces to use smaller sheets of material. I may have jumped the gun on this but I am in it now. Thanks for your help guys I just got the machine and this forum is a great wealth of knowledge. I am just a hobbyist.

When I get back to your computer I’ll start a live stream and look at that file.

And you have both a dxf and SVG from the seller?

Yes I do have both

It looks like piece 60 is incomplete. If you double click on the border, it does not complete the selection around the part. I am not used to the origin at the top but that might be fine. The other pieces look like they should work. Big project!!!
(I am new and learning as well so I should just wait to hear @TinWhisperer response - forget I said anything…)

1 Like

@Wanabe i have done a couple. my avatar is a ramskull i cut out by hand plasma, and the bull terrier i did on a band saw.

a suggestion i have is to label all your pieces with sharpi. it makes it far easier later when searching and assembling.

2 Likes

Mine lags a little but not terrible. What are you using to mark the bend lines? @TinWhisperer has a good method he covered in one of his videos a while back that is pretty quick and easy.

I would probably break this up into multiple files on smaller sheets the size of my pro table. They are all fairly simple shapes so it shouldn’t be to bad. I would just delete 2/3 of the shapes 3 times but I’m sure Tin will have a better method. I’m excited to learn with you on how Tin would approach it.

2 Likes

I’m getting ready to do a live stream regarding this topic. I have a few updates I’m trying to work through so hopefully I can stream in about 20 minutes.

3 Likes

Thanks for spending so much time on this. Is there a way to get your video for longer then 14 days? I know I will need to watch it several times.

only 7 days. I could post it to you tube.

Thank you! Always learn something.