Dross on Hypertherm 45xp

I just got my table and have been making alot of test cuts using the F bomb file from fireshare. Im using 1/8th in. Im cutting at 30 amps between 80-100ipm. Ive increased the feed in fire control to as high as 150% and as low as 70% and the dross build up is enough that the drops arent falling out. Ive tried 45 amps but it was to hot and deformed the piece. Even at 30 amps im still getting deformed shapes mostly in the bottle opening area the tab isnt coming out fully. Ive put new consumables on my torch and am still getting the same issues. Can anyone help me out or point me to some good resources?

How dry is your air…
How foes your tip look…
Besides dress…what does the cut look like?
30amos seems a little low

what is your torch height ? .06+/-

Is the ground clamp secure to the material?

good clear pictures do help with diagnosing these issues.

Also which plasma torch are you running?

steel, aluminum, stainless?

We need the deetz.

Pierce Height? Delay?

I will get a picture uploaded either later tonight or tomorrow. Im using the .06 shim that was included with the table. Cutting steel. The cut itself looks good some edges have a slight bevel to it . Ground clamp is secured to the slats. I dont have z axis control so the pierce height would be .06 correct? I didnt set anything for delay so whatever the generic setting is. The torch is the hand held torch that came with the cutter when I bought it a couple years ago. Like I said ill get a picture posted and see what the delay is set at. Im also thinking it might be an air issue my compressor would turn on during the middle of some cuts. But id like to trouble shoot everything else first before I start looking at the comprssor

Not sure if i have to reply directly to you or if youll see my reply in the thread. So i figured id do both I will get a picture uploaded either later tonight or tomorrow. Im using the .06 shim that was included with the table. Cutting steel. The cut itself looks good some edges have a slight bevel to it . Ground clamp is secured to the slats. I dont have z axis control so the pierce height would be .06 correct? I didnt set anything for delay so whatever the generic setting is. The torch is the hand held torch that came with the cutter when I bought it a couple years ago. Like I said ill get a picture posted and see what the delay is set at. Im also thinking it might be an air issue my compressor would turn on during the middle of some cuts. But id like to trouble shoot everything else first before I start looking at the comprssor

Cut height should be .060" from the ( tip/nozzle to the metal ) not the shield to the metal.

Dross will happen. You’ll get more on small intricate cuts. It’s not uncommon to have to give the workpiece a little smack to Break it free.

You should start cutting at book specs though. Hypertherm book specs dont have you cutting any mild steel at 30 amps.

I cut .125 with my 45xp at 45 amps at 130 IPM with shielded consumables. I could swear I read someone that hypertherm counts .06 from work to shield, but @mechanic416 knows his stuff so I’m trying to find that again.

1 Like

If you’re using the shielded drag tip on the duramax torch with the .06 shim it’s going to be more like .120 cut height.
If your using the non shielded fine tip consumables then you’d be cutting at .06.

I cut 1/8 the same as brown fox 45 amp 130 ipm.

1 Like

thank you! I ran it at your setting and it ran perfect! Found out after I cut about 20 bottle openers that 1/8in is to thick haha. But I got it cutting good

What do you set your cut height to when running shielded? I’ve been setting mine to .06. Because of how the pros IHS works I would think I’d need to lower it a bit but I’m not sure.

Here is the @jimcolt post that led me to believe .060 setting for shielded cutting is still correct.

I was talking about using the consumables that come with the hand torch like the drag shield for hand cutting.
I’m not even sure if you can get a shielded deflector for the regular nozzles. I’m sure you probably can they sell everything but I’ve never had one I just use the drag shields for the hand torch and machine torches on my tables.

2 Likes

Here is the part number for the CNC shield you would use on your 45XP #220817

Ok, I thought we were talking about the machine torch shield not the drag shield.

I though we were talking about a CNC table not hand cutting. Because you would not be using a drag shield on a CNC table.

So with how the Pro’s IHS works, should I account for the difference between the machine torch shield and the nozzle, and program sheetcam at .045 (approximate) instead of .06?

He never said he was using the drag shield, just that it was a handheld torch. I assumed that he was running the machine torch shield on a hand torch, but saying that now I don’t even know if that’s possible.

You can use the CNC shield on a hand torch. Yes I would set it at about .045 or so and see how that works.

1 Like

You wouldn’t happen to have it set on gouging would you? Indicator on the front will tell you. I’ve done this more times than I’d like to admit, after using the machine to gouge, never switched it back to cutting.

1 Like